What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo compression...poor

Sussexsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using the iPad to back up my dslr as I am a semi serious photographer and this was the reason I went for the 64 gb.

The files transfernok , if a little slowly but on display the large raw files are very compressed with lots of large errors and lines through the photos.

They do clear eventually but this can take several minutes

Many times the iPad has actually hung before the errors have been cleared

Anyone else had this?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm also an avid photographer. I have a Canon 7D DSLR and a large collection of lenses.. I only use my iPad to display images.. (Like you would a digital picture frame). I crop all my images to a 1024x768 aspect ratio so they always fit the screen with no black bars at the side or top of the image.

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the iPad downsizes 'synced' and 'saved' images and then formats them to fit the 1024x768 pixel screen. They are no longer the same once they wind up in the Photo Album app.

Also.. I do know that RAW files aren't an image format. They consist of RAW data captured from the camera's sensor. There is no white balance, contrast, sharpness etc.... In order to convert them to proper images they have to be processed on a computer..

RAW files from each camera manufacturer are proprietary. You need special software from the manufacturer to convert RAW files into a proper, commonly recognized image format like TIFF or JPEG. I doubt very much that the iPad has the ability to decode every known RAW format from every camera manufacturer. I suspect that they don't.

I think what you're seeing when you transfer RAW images to your iPad are the JPEG images that are embedded within the RAW files.. The iPad is formatting these JPEG images and then discarding all the RAW data.

As far as backing up a camera.. I don't know if you can retrieve saved photos from the iPad.. (At least I've never seen a way to do this). Once they're on the iPad, that's where they stay until they are deleted.

OP
S

Sussexsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

When you plug your iPad into your Imac it automatically opens iPhoto and you can transfer the data across easily to your computer.

I originally bought the ipad for backup of data in the field but like you I am sure it changes the data :(

leeglf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use my ipad as a backup for my dslr files jpeg and raw with the camera connection kit and at first glance the ipad does seems to change the photo properties,
but when i plug the ipad into my pc and go to the ipad through windows explorer (not itunes) you discover the full untouched images (jpeg + raw). :)

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am a photographer and have given up on using

my 64 gig iPad as a back up storage device. I can shoot over 1,000 images in a day with my Canon 1DIII, 5DII, and G10s and the iPad just does not handle backing up well at all. It is a fine display device, however.

The Epson P-7000 does the back up job much better and has a 160 gig capacity. 64 gig really is too little to provide a meaningful back up device.

Most reactions

Latest posts