What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philips Heart Rate App

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just discovered a new app called Vital Signs Camera by Philips. It measures your heart rate by looking at the color changes in your face through the front facing camera. I don't have any devices that have a flash type camera. So this is the first heart rate app that I have really been able to use, as the others require a flash camera. My phone is the iPhone 3GS, which does not have a flash camera. Previously I've been unable to use any heart rate apps because of not having an LED flash feature.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this app. Are there any other decent heart rate apps for the iPad?

My doctor has been concerned about my high heart rate. I doubt any app can be a substitute for the real thing...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Skallal--I am not familiar with this app, but will certainly check this out. I am wondering if there is an app that allows you to put your finger tips on the screen of your ipad in order to measure your heart rate. It reminds me of my Polar Watch I use for when I work out. It just requires the tip of your index finger on the metal bezel of the watch and it gives a read out of your pulse.

I am wondering how accurate this app is in the first place especially if it is reading the changes in skin color of your face. You could always do it the old fashion way by counting the beats for 30 seconds than multiplying that by 2 to get your Heart rate--though I am sure that you already know that.

If I find anything, I will post back.

I am also going to move this into the iPad for Health. Thanks!

Carol

OP
skallal

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All of the fingertip heart rate apps seem to require a device with LED flash integrated with the camera. I've never gotten any of them to work on my iPad or my iPhone 3GS. Time for a newer phone , lol!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see--I am still going to hunt some down, there must be others that we are missing. I am wondering why the fingertip apps need a flash for it to work, though.

Yes, maybe you do need a new phone, Skallal! :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I checked to see if there were some other apps for you to try. I found several that only require you to tap your beats as you feel your pulse in your neck.

The first one (Heart Monitor by Log Run) I actually downloaded and tested out myself. It was fairly accurate to within 2-3 beats when compared to counting the beats for 10 seconds than multiplying it by 6. This is the 60 second count method for your HR.

Heart Monitor by Log Run (free: iPod touch, iPhone and iPad)
By pressing the Tap Button-it will count down the beats as you tap.

image-3247209165.jpg

iPulse (.99: iPod touch, iPhone and iPad)
This app has you count your beats for 15 seconds.

image-505704838.jpg

Hope this helps you keep track of your heart rate.

Skimonkey

Last edited:
OP
skallal

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I tried another app called My Heart Rate, but it seems less accurate and less stable than the Philips app. That is the readings jumped around more. At least it was free.

And I'm also looking for apps now that actually connect to devices. One of them is called iCardio. It uses an ANT+ based wireless sensor, which is common on bike computers. Perhaps if I'm serious, this is the way to go.

And thanks for your other research, in the App Store...

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there-I have been using the first app listed and it's fairly accurate to about 2-4 beats. Handy little app to have if you need to measure your heart rate and if you don't to measure the old fashion way!

Phineas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read all post and in these post valid and important information contain .
I like it and increase my general knowledge on this topic .
Some information is complex if you share in easy words it is more better for me and other people .
Because in this way i easily understand it .

Aden8100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man i never listen about this app before.
Looking sounds helpful to measure heart rate...really inspired with that.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Man i never listen about this app before.
Looking sounds helpful to measure heart rate...really inspired with that.

Hi Aden...

There's many out there that are available...so have a look and see what fits your needs. I am a purist though...I find myself checking my pulse the old fashioned way as how we were taught in school.

Dr. Hla Phone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When heart rate is irregular and arrhythmia present, one minute full count is more accurate.

Most reactions

Latest posts