What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pegatron – to assemble 50-60% of iPad mini production

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
isthis7inchipadmaybejtjt.jpeg

In anticipation of the iPad mini release, two security firms based in Taiwan have leaked information according to which the device has started production. But surprise, surprise the main supplier isn’t Foxconn as expected, but Pegatron who has managed to snatch 50-60% of the order coming from the tech giant.

That doesn’t mean that Foxconn won’t have a piece of the mini tablet pie, far from it. The rest of the order will still go their way, not to mention that Foxconn is in charge of assembling Apple’s most iconic device in history – the iPhone.

EDN also states that Foxlink, AU Optronics and TPK will be part suppliers and that Foxconn and Pegatron are going to handle the assembly of about 5 million mini tablets a month. This is actually the first time in the history of the iPad that somebody else has taken charge of the production of the tablet, although Pegatron has been known to be involved in iPhone assembly process.

The report also mentioned that from now on Pegatron is also going to become a bigger part of iPhone manufacturing, as the demand for the smartphone will increase up to 53 million units.

Of course since the iPad mini hasn’t even been officially announced, none of the companies made any comment. The iPad mini should surface next month and rumors claim that it will come with a $349 price tag making it more accessible to wider segments of the population.

By Radu

Source: Pegatron reportedly nabs 50 to 60 percent of iPad mini orders, breaks up Foxconn's monopoly -- Engadget

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
$349 hmmm for $50 more you can get a brand new iPad 2. I thought it was going to be cheaper.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
$349 hmmm for $50 more you can get a brand new iPad 2. I thought it was going to be cheaper.

$349.00 is cheaper, $50.00 cheaper.

UbuFamily

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wonder how big is the mini screen compared to the current one...right? I mean in what way does the "mini" formed the ipad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
UbuFamily said:
I wonder how big is the mini screen compared to the current one...right? I mean in what way does the "mini" formed the ipad?

The rumors are saying that it should have a 7" screen.

Most reactions

Latest posts