What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC Networking - Windows access to Filesystem

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PC Networking (Free or [FONT=&quot]€4.99 for full filesystem access): [/FONT]
Cydia Description: Windows networking for iPhone, iPod and iPad, using Samba. This package adds native Windows networking support for your iPhone, iPod or iPad. Your device will appear in Windows' network locations, and you will be able to browse & transfer files from/to it seamlessly, as you would do with another Windows computer. On some devices, a reboot may be needed for the network service to start. The configuration is done in Settings [the app name in Settings is "Windows"]. NOTE: when the device goes into sleep mode, Wifi is disabled. PC Networking uses Wifi, so it needs your device to be awake in order to be accessible.

I am one who likes to go into my iPad "innards" - for various reasons, mostly because I can. While I like iFile, I find it somewhat limiting when it comes to moving around themes folders, documents, pictures, etc. So, I use OpenSSH (free on Cydia) and an open-source file transfer client for Windows (I use WinSCP, which is also free). I found this process a bit cumbersome, but workable. Then I found PC Networking on Cydia, which is new as of 27 June. Now, it's as if my iPad is another folder on my PC.

The free version of the tweak allows you to access a storage area on the iPad (created by the tweak) where you can move files back and forth. In addtion, you have access to the photos in the Photo app, making photo transfer very simple.

The paid version [[FONT=&quot]€4.99 (about $7.30 USD)] opens up the file system so you can access the entire iPad. Should you choose to get access to the filesystem, you make a Paypal payment to the developer (instructions on the process are provided through the app in Settings). [/FONT]

One limitation for this tweak is the same as when using OpenSSH/FTP client software - the application names are not in plain English. However, you can still access the iPad while you're viewing it on your PC, so it's a simple matter of firing up iFile to see the name of each app.

I'd strongly recommend, as with OpenSSH, that you ensure your root passwords on the device have been changed from Apple's default. In addition, once you have finished working with PC Networking, I'd also recommend you turn off the "Enable Networking" option; this is a very simple process, as PC Networking comes with its own SBSettings toggle. Convenience at it's best!

Here's a screenshot of the Settings options for the app (ignore the left side as it's a cut 'n' paste job to get the full affect of the options available on the right hand side):

PCNetworking-FullScreenShot.png

And, here's what shows in my Windows machine:

PCNetworking-PCScreenie.png

Yeah, it's $7.30 versus free. But, the convenience and ease of this tweak makes the cost of this tweak worth it … to me. Of course, and as always, YMMV.

Happy tweaking.

Marilyn

P.S. I have to add this caution: Be VERY careful wandering around in your iPad's filesystem! I can attest that if you do something that alters the way the iPad works, in a bad way, you WILL have to restore your iPad. Guaranteed! Always remember two simple rules when it comes to mucking about with tweaks such as this one, OpenSSH and iFile: (1) Always do a backup before attempting anything and (2) Make copies of the iPad's/Apple's original files so that, if it's possible, you can just put the iPad back where you found it. Believe you me - I know a-l-l about restores - from experience! :D

Last edited:

runisco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will definitively get it's rightful place on my iPad 2 when comex is done. So thanks for writing about it :D

but I feel I need to ask a question for the sake of my eyes. What is that wonderful font and is it gotten through cydia in a tweak?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a nice font, isn't it? I likes it...

Yep, it's a tweak from Cydia. The main tweak is called BytaFont, which you have to have installed before you do anything. Then, once installed, you can download/install fonts, select one (or more!) and your selection replaces all the stock system fonts, as you can see.

The font I'm using is "QarmicSans." Click here for a link to BytaFont's web site, where if you select "IOS 4 FONTS" (at the top), you'll be directed to a page for browsing all the fonts they have available.

Just something else to add to your list, yeah? Hang in there ... !!

Marilyn

Wanders off, thinking that maybe she'll just have to post an overview on BytaFont and it's many niceties and bennies...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Wanders off, thinking that maybe she'll just have to post an overview on BytaFont and it's many niceties and bennies...

Only if you cover Lato and DroidSans, mon favs :)

Aftershock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the windows app "iphone folders" which is free and does pretty much the same thing.

The difference it that if only connects over USB, but as im sitting at my desk its its not a problem. The advantage however is that it still works when the Ipad is locked, sleeping etc.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A Google search shows that any discussion on this only talks about Windows (which kind of makes sense, give its name...).

Maybe an e-mail to the developer - see if he or she is working on a Mac version?

Marilyn

random_name

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this app not work with the iPad 2? I've downloaded it and enable networking, but I see nothing on my PC. What gives? I thought the whole point of this app was to be easy!

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try a re-boot after enabling networking?

I had to try a couple of times and then it was there, under Networks on my PC.

Marilyn

random_name

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try a re-boot after enabling networking?

I had to try a couple of times and then it was there, under Networks on my PC.

Marilyn
How do you reboot and keep networking enabled? Hell, mine automatically switches back to "off" if I move to a different tab in settings. The only way it can be "on" is on the "Windows" option screen... as soon as I leave that it turns off. I even have the SBSettings toggle, same thing. I enable sharing and then X out of SBSettings. Enter SBSettings immediately afterward, and sharing is again toggled off.

So yeah, how can you possibly reboot while leaving sharing enabled?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you reboot and keep networking enabled? Hell, mine automatically switches back to "off" if I move to a different tab in settings. The only way it can be "on" is on the "Windows" option screen... as soon as I leave that it turns off. I even have the SBSettings toggle, same thing. I enable sharing and then X out of SBSettings. Enter SBSettings immediately afterward, and sharing is again toggled off.

Huh. Guess I should have paid more attention to what I was doing when I was doing it - because I did have to reboot a couple of times before it would work. I actually came | | this close to uninstalling it (twice, actually, because I had the same trouble after I bought and activated the Filesystem root access).

Try this...

After you enable it, reboot it right from the Settings app (use SBSettings to reboot) without moving off of that section. Maybe that's what'll work...

I'm sorry you're having issues - and I should have mentioned that in the first post. It's just that, sometimes, when I'm installing stuff - I'm so unfamiliar with it that I just figure that it's me that's having trouble.

Anyway, try the reboot from Settings ... see what happens. Let me know?

Marilyn

random_name

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Huh. Guess I should have paid more attention to what I was doing when I was doing it - because I did have to reboot a couple of times before it would work. I actually came | | this close to uninstalling it (twice, actually, because I had the same trouble after I bought and activated the Filesystem root access).

Try this...

After you enable it, reboot it right from the Settings app (use SBSettings to reboot) without moving off of that section. Maybe that's what'll work...

I'm sorry you're having issues - and I should have mentioned that in the first post. It's just that, sometimes, when I'm installing stuff - I'm so unfamiliar with it that I just figure that it's me that's having trouble.

Anyway, try the reboot from Settings ... see what happens. Let me know?

Marilyn

That didn't work, but I finally figured out a solution. I simply deleted it via Cydia, then re-downloaded and installed again. Worked fine right out of the gate. So I either had a bum installation, or this is an app you want to install last among any other WiFi apps you may have. *shrugs*

At least it works now!

Milessa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find it. Is it available for ipad2?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts