What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password No Longer Required for Free Apps in iOS 6

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7465-ios-6-beta-3.JPG

Cult of Mac reports that it has been discovered via the iOS 6 beta 3 that you will no longer need to input your Apple ID password when you want to download a free app from the App Store. Cult of Mac first reported on the matter when iOS 6 beta 1 was released, when it discovered that users were no longer being prompted to enter their password when downloading updates of games or apps they already owned, or re-downloading previous purchases. Now it looks like this has been extended to the downloading of free apps, which makes a lot of sense really. I’m sure we’ve all wondered why we were having to bother to enter our password when downloading a free app in the past, well now we won’t have to, assuming Apple keeps this new feature in the final gold master version of iOS 6.

Source: New In iOS 6: App Store Doesn’t Require A Password To Download Free Apps | Cult of Mac

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope we get an option to leave a password enabled. The nieces and nephews occasionally get hold of our iPads and they can grab an awful lot of apps in a very short period of time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
idave23 said:
I hope we get an option to leave a password enabled. The nieces and nephews occasionally get hold of our iPads and they can grab an awful lot of apps in a very short period of time.

That's what I was thinking. I can imagine how many apps my son could download in a week, and I would get them plastered all over my iPhone and iPad. A visit to Settings/Restrictions will soon be in order, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would be nice to be able to skip password entry while updating apps.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good idea,it is annoying to have to enter the password every time.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I thought the reason for the password entry was to link the app with your account, so when you update or reinstall your current iOS you don't need to search out those downloaded apps. I much prefer the password way for security, why fix something that isn't broken!!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, this was reverted.

Sent from K48

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
For some reason, I don't have to enter my password on iTunes when on my Macbook, but do if I am on my iPad.

Hopefully that's normal behavior, as it's the same on my PC.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really great to install free app without Apple ID while it is true that sometimes you cannot keep kids from installing useless apps, but enabling restricions,means you can turn on "installing apps" restrictions may be some helpful.

Most reactions