What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PanGu 7.1.X Jailbreak Discussion

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Today, an iOS 7.1.X jailbreak has been released by the name of PanGu, which has a Chinese origin, and works for all devices running iOS 7.1 and 7.1.1 (as well as 7.1.2 once the utility has been updated and iOS 7.1.2 is released).

Note that at the start of the release, you will not see 100% compatibility with tweaks that previously worked on 7.1's GeekSn0w or tweaks that worked on Evasi0n7's 7.0-7.0.6 jailbreak. Most packages still work though some do not, and it's ill advised to edit your firmware identifier via iFile. Share your experience and queries on PanGu.

[Original Message Redacted As Per Vetting of Utility]

Tutorial

Download Link

Windows v1.0.0

Windows v1.1.0

Mac OS v1.1.0

Last edited:
OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It may be a false positive. I'm getting mixed results, but it's best be on the safe side.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and keeping us in the loop.

OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As the utility has been vetted by known developers as well as trustworthy news sites, I'll retract my prior statement but will still point out the wariness that should be present while using the utility.

Mods/Admins can close this thread if they see fit and re-open the discussion thread under the supervision of a mod/admin

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As the utility has been vetted by known developers as well as trustworthy news sites, I'll retract my prior statement but will still point out the wariness that should be present while using the utility.

Mods/Admins can close this thread if they see fit.

Well, me shouldn't forget that the known jailbreak devs are human and, therefore, not immune to making mistakes. I seem to remember one jailbreak team adding a Chinese store that paid the jb developers for including the store in the jailbreak. I'm wondering if that optional store in the current jb is a similar deal.

OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, me shouldn't forget that the known jailbreak devs are human and, therefore, not immune to making mistakes. I seem to remember one jailbreak team adding a Chinese store that paid the jb developers for including the store in the jailbreak. I'm wondering if that optional store in the current jb is a similar deal.

In the case of @Evad3rs, yes, that would be the case. But PanGu is of China-origins, so naturally they would have what we consider a piracy app included because Cydia is not Chinese-friendly. But the developers did make it optional to install the "Chinese Cydia" variant by adding a tickbox as opposed to Evasi0n7 which included it right off the bat. Granted that this is a Chinese-origin jailbreak, the incorporation of what we consider a piracy app is only fair since they want the Chinese users to be able to actually use a Cydia variant.

In any case, PanGu is "safe" to run, but to our readers, remember that this forum (as well as its sister forums) do not condone piracy at all, and there is a method to remove the piracy related packages as instructed by a trustworthy developer here if you sincerely accidentally left the box ticked and do not want to restore.

Twowit2woo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else had this fail?

Pangu icon appeared on ipad. Loaded it it said "keep the device connected" it rebooted once but that's as far as it gets. I noticed the text on the Pangu app turned red suggesting it failed for some reason - and the progress bar only got to around 95%

Twowit2woo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE: This may have been my bad. I ran it again but watched every step. On the reboot it was asking for my PIN so I can't help wondering whether I missed that last time and it eventually timed out.

All installed and working now :)

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any update on a MAC version?

OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any update on a MAC version?

It's "in the making" with the next version. There aren't any ETAs on it just yet, but I'll keep an eye out and announce/post the links to it in the initial post.

Also updated the initial post with the direct download link as well as the link to the tutorial until the next version (will be in English as well as Mac support) is released.

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apparently, PanGu uses an expired certificate vulnerability to inject the payload. My internet research states that this "technique." lies on murky legal grounds. As it is clear that it is 100% legal to jailbreak, questioning the legality or ethics regarding the jailbreak method doesn't make sense to me.

Can somebody please elaborate why this technique is frowned upon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently, PanGu uses an expired certificate vulnerability to inject the payload. My internet research states that this "technique." lies on murky legal grounds. As it is clear that it is 100% legal to jailbreak, questioning the legality or ethics regarding the jailbreak method doesn't make sense to me.

Can somebody please elaborate why this technique is frowned upon.

The PanGu team used an expired Enterprise Certificate to do the jail break (is why you have to reset the date on the iDevice before jail breaking. I'm not too sure why, but evidently using the certificate is a legal gray area (maybe even thoroughly illegal). It has to do with copyright infringement, I think.

There are many ways to do a jail break. The teams usually stay away from legal gray areas as they could be subject to prosecution if they created and distributed copyrighted material.

My understanding of this issue is still a bit murky. All we really know is that, one of the more prominent members of the jail breaking community (iH8sn0w) has said they've stayed away from these certificates.

So, jail breaking is perfectly legal. It's just the development and distribution of the tools may be a bit fuzzy.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
willerz2

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The PanGu team used an expired Enterprise Certificate to do the jail break (is why you have to reset the date on the iDevice before jail breaking. I'm not too sure why, but evidently using the certificate is a legal gray area (maybe even thoroughly illegal). It has to do with copyright infringement, I think.

There are many ways to do a jail break. The teams usually stay away from legal gray areas as they could be subject to prosecution if they created and distributed copyrighted material.

My understanding of this issue is still a bit murky. All we really know is that, one of the more prominent members of the jail breaking community (iH8sn0w) has said they've stayed away from these certificates.

So, jail breaking is perfectly legal. It's just the development and distribution of the tools may be a bit fuzzy.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Pretty much summed up. To add to the discussion, although this jailbreak utilizes expired certificates, like all previous jailbreaking vulnerabilities/exploits, they will be patched. In the case of expired certificates, the same method is used to pirate app, specifically on non-jailbroken devices. By releasing this method themselves, and because the jailbreak was backed by a piracy app maker, they just dug themselves a pretty deep grave considering once PanGu's exploits/vulns are patched, half of their users will not be able to pirate, which is good for us and Apple as well as developers, but detrimental towards pirates. Sure they may have utilized a gray-area-tier exploit for this jailbreak, but that just shut the door for a LOOOT of piracy that's been going around for quite some time.

At the same time though, this will also close the door on things like GBA4iOS, NDS4iOS and the likes for non-jailbroken devices as they also utilize certificates (particularly expired ones) to deliver the app to stock devices. In the end, Apple will "credit" the PanGu team for the discovery of an exploit in the iOS, but their fame came at the price of shutting down a significant amount of user access for many Asia-based users, and pirates around the world.

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I have one further question:

Will the Pangu Jailbreak work with IOS 7.1.2, which is set to be released soon. If It will, then I will wait to upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts