What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paid app on 2 IPads?

kostnkost

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I probably know the answer to this already, but was wondering if the app I paid for on my wife's IPad can be downloaded to mine. Ever since I sent the Wheel of Fortune game over as a gift to her IPad, she has been dying to play against me. I figured why the heck would I spend another $5 to have the same game, but I assume that it would have to come down to this.

Probably better off anyways as she would kick my butt every game!

TH2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Heya

If you have two iPads set up to the same Apple a/c you can automatically download apps to both at same time.

I think (but i'm not certain) that you only get charged the once.

I've only tried it with free apps but its very handy for downloading to both at same time.

There's a setting for turning off and on 'automatically download purchases made on other devices' under Store in Settings.

- TH

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
TH is right. If both iPads are using the same Apple ID account then you can simply download the app again on the other iPad. Just go to the Purchased tab at the bottom of the App Store, find the app and install it.

If you have two accounts, it is still possible, but trickier. Apple allows sharing of app, media, music between family members, but not between accounts. What you have to do is go to the bottom of the App Store's Feature tab. You'll see the Apple ID that you are logged into the store with. Tap it and select sign out. Tap it again and sign in with the required Apple ID. You can now see the Purchased apps from that account and download them for free.

However: from that point on you are going to have to keep track of what apps were bought on what account. They can only be updated when you are logged onto the account they were bought with. This may be more trouble than just buying a 99 cent app (it is on sale as I type). Or just getting the free version and putting up with the advertisements.

Up to you.

Most reactions