What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pages app- how to open word attachments

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very new ipad2 user-just downloaded Pages app, can't get word attachments in my email to open. Any advice greatly appreciated. I am getting a format error. Tnx!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - a couple of questions. Do the email attachments display correctly in Mail - i.e. before you try to open them in Pages?

What format are the attachments? Pages can open .doc and .docx only - so no .rtf or other variants that Word can generate.

At what point is the message 'format error' generated? I'm assuming it's when you press and hold the attachment icon and accept the 'Open in' invitation to open the attachment in Pages.

Tim

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Opening Word attachments with Pages

The word attachments appear in .doc format, so that looks to be okay. When I press the open in Pages invitation I get the following: "Document couldn't be imported. The file format is invalid."

Thanks for helping!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The word attachments appear in .doc format, so that looks to be okay. When I press the open in Pages invitation I get the following: "Document couldn't be imported. The file format is invalid."

Thanks for helping!

OK - Mail can display .doc format files, so can you actually see the file in Mail - i.e. before you try to import it into Pages?

Tim

OP
L

lstrom2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not very techie, so bear with me...what I see on the face of my email is a box, like an icon, that is the attachment. I push that, get a screen that shows a box indicating a word document with a ------.doc number on it. When I push the open in Pages, then I get the message noted in the above posting. Is there something else I need to do to import the document?

Most reactions

Latest posts