What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of Town - sending email

dgk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Merry HoHoHo - I will be travelling at Christmas and when ever I am out of town my email will not send through my mail server until I get home. How can I send an email when I am out of town? What settings do I change and to what?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello dgk - you might want to first elaborate on 'how' you are currently using the 'Mail' app of the iPad? How is your account set up and which service(s) are you using, e.g. MS Exchange, Gmail, or other(s)?

I have a Yahoo account and have had no difficulty in getting my mail when traveling - just need a Wi-Fi connection for my device. So a little more information may help others make more specific suggestions - good luck! :)

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
You can't email when you're out and about because most ISPs restrict the use of their smtp servers when you are not connected to your own wifi system. You will have to set up and use something like GMail for outgoing mail when you are away from home.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dgk said:
Merry HoHoHo - I will be travelling at Christmas and when ever I am out of town my email will not send through my mail server until I get home. How can I send an email when I am out of town? What settings do I change and to what?

I access my account from my provider's web site to check and send mail when traveling or away from my home computer. It works fine for short trips. I can clear out any trash and leave anything important on the server until I return home to download it.

Never, never, never give up -- Winston Churchill

helix2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used the WiFi on the train to send email and had no problems. I would agree though that if you can access your email directly on the web that would be the way to go.

Most reactions