What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of solutions... Anyone offer other solutions

yazzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have an iPad that I purchased used but still under warranty for another 3 weeks. My iPad is JBed which means I can't just take it back to Apple and say WTF. No matter what I get the "unrecognized device" when connecting to any computer (as I have 5 machines at my disposal). I've even connected to my Hackintosh Snow Leopard to no avail. Nothing at all. Period. I've tired but the iPad into DFU mode but the computers still refuse to recognize the device. I have 3 iPhones and a iPad 2 which connect everywhere but not the iPad. I can charge the iPad using an external charger and can FTP into the device but no USB connection. Hence I can't even do a factory restore so I can bring it back to Apple as it's still within my warranty period.

Any suggestions to my dilemma would be great. Is there someone to FTP the iOS to the iPad and force a restore from within? And yes I've already thought of throwing off my balcony :)

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you tried looking at disk utility in the settings on your pc or mac? maybe you may need to repair it?
but i'm no expert.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys

. My iPad is JBed which means I can't just take it back to Apple and say WTF.

This was posted by one of our distinguished members and may be helpful:

"Yes the warranty is void once you jailbreak. Also the only way to perform a full restore is to connect it to a computer with the cable.

However you can perform the following steps and they probably wont be able to notice at the apple store if it was broken and will replace it.

#1 go to settings
#2 go to general settings
#3 go to reset at the very bottom
#4 select Reset all content and settings

This will reboot the iPad and you will see the white progress bar as it clears everything off of the iPad. Then it will come to the screen saying "connect to iTunes" just like how it came from the factory. They will be unable to use the iPad unless they get the cable connection to work and connect to iTunes. Even then it may not be jailbroken any more."

OP
Y

yazzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marie

That's one idea I never thought of ;)
I'll try that later on this week once I have a free day to go to the Apple store.

Do anyone know when returning a defective unit to the Apple store, do they just replace it on the spot or do I have to wait for them to send it out before they decide?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do anyone know when returning a defective unit to the Apple store, do they just replace it on the spot or do I have to wait for them to send it out before they decide?

They decide on the spot but you may have to wait to receive as they may be out of stock in your model. Or they may have it and give you a new one right away.:)

Hackint0sh814

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 on the reset setting. I would give it awhile to run though because my experience with this is that it took an extremely long time! I can add though that this will wipe out any jailbreak and bring your iPad to factory. After you so this I would try connecting it to your PC's and see if it works before you make the trip to the Apple Store. You never know, it could have been a JB setting or App that screwed things up.

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yazzie said:
Well did a reset 90 mins ago and it's still doing it's thing :(

I had the same "unrecognized device" situation happen to be on my 4.3.2 JB. Not sure what went wrong during the process but I could not do a factory restore. Well a friend of mine told me to install a "fresh" version of iTunes on another computer then sync. Being that it's a virgin library it would pick up the device and I could then restore to factory settings and the latest firmware (which was 4.3.2 at the time). Once that was done, I was able to sync it back to my original iTunes library on my main computer and do the JB.

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yazzie said:
Well did a reset 90 mins ago and it's still doing it's thing :(

That is to be expected. The device should be inoperable now. If you reset it by pressing both home and power for 10 seconds it should reboot, but should hang at the Apple logo. If it does then it is fine to hand it into Apple in this state. There is no way for them to tell it is jailbroken, and since you cannot get it to connect to your PC to restore, you are done with this device now. Take it back to Apple, plead ignorance, and you should get a warranty replacement.

OP
Y

yazzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Started erase & reset around 11pm last night and was still running @ 7am this morning. Thought something must have screwed up so I disconnected and tried to do a reboot to no avail. Nothing but a blank screen. So I packed up the device and off I went to the apple store. I get to the store and wait and hour for my appointment and explain that I did a reset last night that failed and now I have a blank screen. SOB hits the power button and up comes my iPad (with all my hacked apps). Buddy turns it off and tries to connect to a computer. At this point I'm crapping myself thinking their gonna know I hacked the device. I quickly grabbed my phone and said I just realized I had to get my dad to the hospital for an appointment and would return another day. They had my name, email & phone number but not the serial for the pad thank god. So now I'm back home trying once more to reset the device. Next time I take it back, I'll be triple sure as I might not be so lucky next time around. :D

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yazzie said:
Started erase & reset around 11pm last night and was still running @ 7am this morning. Thought something must have screwed up so I disconnected and tried to do a reboot to no avail. Nothing but a blank screen. So I packed up the device and off I went to the apple store. I get to the store and wait and hour for my appointment and explain that I did a reset last night that failed and now I have a blank screen. SOB hits the power button and up comes my iPad (with all my hacked apps). Buddy turns it off and tries to connect to a computer. At this point I'm crapping myself thinking their gonna know I hacked the device. I quickly grabbed my phone and said I just realized I had to get my dad to the hospital for an appointment and would return another day. They had my name, email & phone number but not the serial for the pad thank god. So now I'm back home trying once more to reset the device. Next time I take it back, I'll be triple sure as I might not be so lucky next time around. :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

So funny! :D

Hope you get it worked out!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are the second person in a few days that has reported that using "Erase all Content and Settings" on a jailbroken iPad has NOT rendered the iPad inoperable.

My experience up to this point in time is that it would always put the device into a hung state and the only option was to put the device into DFU mode to restore. I've seen this happen on lots of iPhones and iPads.
I don't know if something has changed with the latest untether methods for 4.3.x jailbreaks. Perhaps they no longer cause the process to hang. For obvious reasons I don't want to try this out just now, but will next time I am able to. Perhaps over the weekend.

Normally, using "Erase All Content & Settings" would be the course of action if someone wanted to return a jailbroken iPad to Apple but could NOT restore it for whatever reason using their PC.

I am now reconsidering this advice and will not be recommending it until I can investigate further. The downside of this is that there would appear to be no way of hiding the jailbroken state of your device from Apple IF you are unable to put the device in DFU mode and restore it yourself.

If anyone else has experience of using "Erase All Contents & Settings" on a 4.3.x please share the outcome. Thanks.

Anomalous

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yazzie said:

LOL!

I really hope that you get it to working again. :)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Y

yazzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still baffled

I've tried 3 times to erase and restore and even ran it for 15 hours. Never completed and each time after I do a hard reboot, the JBed device returns with all apps and data intact. Even tried restore on a clean machine with no success. Can anyone else suggest another idea?

Yazzie

Most reactions

Latest posts