What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox-Too Weighty for Ipad 1????

bnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All, Just purchased an Ipad 1 for my toddler (and I) to use. Definitely want to protect it but as you know it is tough to find a kid/parent friendly case for the 1st gen Ipad. Seriously considering the Otterbox. However, the Ipad 1 is more bulky than its successors. After a while started to feel heavy in my hand. Concerned that the Otterbox will make this even more of a problem than it is right now with no case. Also, if it's a problem for me imagine my toddler! Considering going in the total opposite direction with Iballz combined with Ghost Armor. These also look a bit cumbersome and impractical. Any opinions or suggestions. Would greatly appreciate since time is of the essence with Christmas approaching. Thanks!!!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered the iPad mini? Its smaller size would make it easier for a small child to hold. Even with a case it weighs much less than a full size iPad and case.

OP
B

bnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered the iPad mini? Its smaller size would make it easier for a small child to hold. Even with a case it weighs much less than a full size iPad and case.

Thanks but I already bought the Ipad 1.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even with the additional weight, I would consider a case. One of my son's friends uses my iPad at the weekend. He refuses to touch it until I've put it back in it's case. Kids don't find the iPad comfortable to hold, because they're afraid of dropping it. The case makes it much more grippy.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could consider a case or stand that will hold the iPad at a comfortable angle to use.

OP
B

bnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even with the additional weight, I would consider a case. One of my son's friends uses my iPad at the weekend. He refuses to touch it until I've put it back in it's case. Kids don't find the iPad comfortable to hold, because they're afraid of dropping it. The case makes it much more grippy.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
Thanks Kevin. I'll keep that in mind.

OP
B

bnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IMO, a mini would have been a much wiser choice. This is why it is best to do your research prior to purchase. Can you return the 1?
Thanks but the decision to purchase the 1 was both a monetary and practical one, as I paid $100. Also, if I spend upwards of $300 for a mini it will be for my use not my toddler's.
Would pass it down to them after a few years.:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is an iPad case that has some kind of tether attached to it, that would be ideal. It would prevent the iPad from being dropped from the table to the floor, for example.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If there is an iPad case that has some kind of tether attached to it, that would be ideal. It would prevent the iPad from being dropped from the table to the floor, for example.

It's generally not a good idea to mix cords and such with things for young children, because of strangulation risks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
It's generally not a good idea to mix cords and such with things for young children, because of strangulation risks.

Sorry, I missed that bit. Thanks for the safety reminder.

OP
B

bnell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know anything about the iballz case...tether with 4 balls attached. Looks pretty silly but many people swear by it based on the reviews.

cyndy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't even know one could buy a iPad 1 still, used I assume? At any rate you will certainly get $100 use out of it. I tried a few cases on my iPod 4, which is well known for it's easiest of all breakable screen. The otter box was a bit too bulky for me, but maybe I should have kept it for grand kids defense.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bnell said:
Do you know anything about the iballz case...tether with 4 balls attached. Looks pretty silly but many people swear by it based on the reviews.

I just looked at their website. It looks like it provides excellent protection against corner impacts.

Most reactions

Latest posts