What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox Defender iPad 2 case - my thoughts.

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received my Otterbox defender iPad2 case on Monday direct from the company. The iPad2 is my first iPad so my only brief experience of the Otterbox case for the original iPad was when in the queue on the 25 March here in the UK were a guy showed me his iPad 1 in the defender case. Other than that I have been carrying my Blackberry Storm in a Otterbox case for several years and it has been fantastic.

Things I like about the new iPad 2 case:

1. Apple logo shows through the back of the case.
2. Silicone feels nice and grippy to hold.
3. Small flap for charging connector, no need to completely remove or risk loosing flap.
4. Charging dock can be used, again without having to completely detach cover.
5. The stand on the inside of the lid works really well.

Things I don't like about the new iPad 2 case:

1. The cover lid has large spaces / holes in the corners, something could poke through and hit the screen?
2. Flap for head phone jack can be fiddly to close / stay closed.
3. Speaker grill area. This only partially covers the grill and there is a chance something could poke through and damage the speaker grill?
4. Clear colour of the speaker grill area, this would look much better in black.
5. Silicone layer seems to attract dust / fluff (static) at first.
6. There are areas where wind blown dust could enter the case.

Last June I bought this MacBookPro and I took it to India, ranging from the hot dusty deserts to the high altitude forests. It also went with me to Wyoming, USA and Germany. I would not like to take my iPad on such journeys in the Otterbox Deffender case.......

I see that Griffin are going to be releasing the Survivor case shortly, so I plan on buying one of these ASAP..... I believe that this case will offer much better protection against dust and other damage. I like the fact it has a built in screen protector. I realise that there isn't a cover panel, like on the Otterbox case but I intend to make my own out of Kydex (I have experience of working with this), the stuff they make gun holsters / knife sheaths out of.

Anyone want a iPad2 defender case going cheap in a week or two?

OP
H

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How cheap?

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

I paid $89.95 + $21.44 shipping to the UK, total $111:44

I'll probably stick it on UK Amazon or e-bay.... but I could send it over to the USA.... I'd be thinking of something like $20 for the case and $15 shipping.

Hopefully the griffin case will meet my needs.

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OtterBOX Defended

I really like OtterBox products. The Defender case I got for my iPod Touch 4th GEN really transformed the device into an even more usable and fun to hold device. The iPad 2 version delivered the same experience for me. Don't get me wrong, these new iPad beveled edges are sexy, but these cases look good and the usability improvements cant be ignored. I tried the iPad with a smart cover and it was too flimsy for my needs. The defender case is lighter and not as thick as I thought it would feel. The raised edges work really well in helping to leverage the weight of the iPad. The tray is an essential part of the case kit. The trays four rubber feet add grip and protect. Even though it does not cover the entire screen, (more on that here), the tray makes holding the iPad easier. In typing position(landscape view, low angle) you can use just your finger tips to hold the iPad, while using your thumbs to navigate, and easily walk around and/or move the iPad. The added distance, from tray edges to iPad, makes for a more comfortable grip. This will be an even greater treat when split keyboard becomes available in iOS5. I love how you can snap the tray on as a screen cover or, if you don't want a stand, snap it on the back like a pen cap! :ipad-case:

Last edited:

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too just got my Otterbox Defender for the iPad 2 and was very disappionted about the exposed areas at each corner. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they did this... I mean the whole idea behind it is to be durable and add protection yet they leave portions of the screen exposed? From the pictures on the website this is not clear and probably why they don't have pictures of an actual ipad in the case with the cover on. I'm probably just going to try and sell mine on craigslist instead of dealing with returning it.

B.I.G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the UK and interested in buying if/when you sell.

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Ottebox for my iPhone and think about getting it for my iPad2 but right now I have the Targus 360 degree swivel. Only one problem with the Otterbox is that the rubber sides separate from the case. Does the OtterBox for the iPad more stable? thank you, Pat

carlnunes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cased

I have Ottebox for my iPhone and think about getting it for my iPad2 but right now I have the Targus 360 degree swivel. Only one problem with the Otterbox is that the rubber sides separate from the case. Does the OtterBox for the iPad more stable? thank you, Pat

The sides, where rubber meets plastic, are secure. This area around the screen is where you hold the iPad 2 most of the time. If the sides were weak, it would have shown within the first few days. We have two in the family and so far so good. Going on seven days of constant use with mine and day three for the other one.

Last edited:

PatriciaF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OtterBox

Thank you Carlnunes. I think that my Otterbox for my iPhone is really used and is taken in and out of the holster alot! Maybe I am putting too much pressure on the sides. Thanks for your response. :)

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hotherps said:

I'll probably stick it on UK Amazon or e-bay.... but I could send it over to the USA.... I'd be thinking of something like $20 for the case and $15 shipping.

Let me know when you want to sell it

OP
H

Hotherps

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotherps said:

Let me know when you want to sell it

Yes, i'll let you know as soon as I get the griffin case.

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
I too just got my Otterbox Defender for the iPad 2 and was very disappionted about the exposed areas at each corner. For the life of me I cannot figure out why they did this... I mean the whole idea behind it is to be durable and add protection yet they leave portions of the screen exposed? From the pictures on the website this is not clear and probably why they don't have pictures of an actual ipad in the case with the cover on. I'm probably just going to try and sell mine on craigslist instead of dealing with returning it.

If your going to do that how much???

Steven Z

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How cheap?

a little expensive I think!!!
Why not buy one from ETSY,I like the case on ETSY many are nice!
or you can find this site: zsxiaozhi.com and many nice case for iPad
I love the case with notepad for my working!

But I dont think so the cases selling on E-bay nice, many just so so!

Most reactions

Latest posts