What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otterbox case / Zagg screen protector mess

Fairfieldwizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope one of you creative types has a brilliant solution to my problem. First off you need to know the Otterbox defender case. It's terrific. The plastic case comes in two sections. One of the two sections includes a "picture frame" that surrounds the display. Then the two halves slide together. Really relevant to my problem: the case halves fit my iPad VERY snugly.

The Zagg screen protector goes edge to edge, has some thickness to it and is installed using a water-based lubricant of sorts that then completely evaporates leaving a nice smooth, clear cover that they say is guaranteed forever.

I installed the screen protector and then immediately slid the otter box on. Guess what? The picture-frame part of the otter box is now stuck to the Zagg screen protector. I cannot get the otter box off my iPad. I know I could slip something VERY thin between the otter box frame and screen to break the seal, but what? It can't be a knife because I could cut through the screen protector and nick the iPad screen.

Help!

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try (reasonably) heating one corner with a hair dryer and see if this helps. Not sure about the Otterbox for iPad, but I have one on my iPhone and they specifically state that you should remove any screen protectors before you install the Otterbox. Of course Zagg also state that after applying the film you should leave your device for 24 hours before using it.

Good luck!

OP
F

Fairfieldwizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the answer to my own question straight from the horse's mouth... Otterbox. The good news? If I follow their instructions, I will get a free replacement Otterbox.
The bad news? THEY TOLD ME THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO CUT IT OFF WITH A HACKSAW. yikes.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the answer to my own question straight from the horse's mouth... Otterbox. The good news? If I follow their instructions, I will get a free replacement Otterbox.
The bad news? THEY TOLD ME THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO CUT IT OFF WITH A HACKSAW. yikes.

LOL I would go get one of those really thin flexible squeegees and work my way around it until it came un-stuck.....don't think I'd use a hacksaw....

lungpai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope one of you creative types has a brilliant solution to my problem. First off you need to know the Otterbox defender case. It's terrific. The plastic case comes in two sections. One of the two sections includes a "picture frame" that surrounds the display. Then the two halves slide together. Really relevant to my problem: the case halves fit my iPad VERY snugly.

The Zagg screen protector goes edge to edge, has some thickness to it and is installed using a water-based lubricant of sorts that then completely evaporates leaving a nice smooth, clear cover that they say is guaranteed forever.

I installed the screen protector and then immediately slid the otter box on. Guess what? The picture-frame part of the otter box is now stuck to the Zagg screen protector. I cannot get the otter box off my iPad. I know I could slip something VERY thin between the otter box frame and screen to break the seal, but what? It can't be a knife because I could cut through the screen protector and nick the iPad screen.

Help!

Sorry I'm so late to this discussion but if I can help one person then it may have been worth it...

Had the same problem as Fairwizard....

I tried every sort of brute force short of breaking my ipad and was finally successful after realizing that the Otterbox was now expendable. I really wanted my iPad back. Here were my steps. Using a pry tool (flathead screwdriver) I loosened the top portion off of the iPad. Then using brute force again, I broke the top front piece of the lower portion of the case (the part that is in front of the light sensor). I was furious. I went back to ATT and they replaced it for free. The second otterbox I took off as soon as I put it on and I realized that the Zagg invisishield is not compatible with this case. Now realizing my mistake, I vowed never to take off my otterbox again.

Until tonight. I was forced to clean my iPad and I had to take it out of the case to do so. I used the tool to pry all of the priable parts (the small tabs on the side of the otterbox) until I got the top back piece to come off. Then I ran into the same problem with the otterbox being practically glued to the zagg. I pried the otterbox as far as it would go and then used a paper business card to separate as much of it as possible. Then I just wiggled and wiggled the bottom off. Very time consuming and very frustrating. I'm going to explore this forum (as I'm new) and see if the Zagg is really the best option cause the otterbox is and I"m keeping it. The real problem here is the Zagg cover not being compatible with the otterbox.

Hope this helps someone.

I should add that small damage to the otterbox is unavoidable. It will get scuffed and scratched. Such is the price.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused. Why do you need the zagg and the otterbox?doesn't the otterbox have full protection, including the screen?

lungpai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused. Why do you need the zagg and the otterbox?doesn't the otterbox have full protection, including the screen?

No. Unlike the iphone version (I have the defender) it is a giant blank open hole. I'm just not comfortable without a screen cover, although I'm quite sick of the whole mess lol. I will admit, grudgingly, that the level of protection the two offer in tandem is very good. It's just a hassle trying to separate them.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow? That's the point of the hole? Y couldnt they just make a bigger iPhone case? Soo confused. I don't think I want it anymore. If I gotta by a screen protector I cab get the case I want. It doesn't have screen protection either. Someone plz help me. Idk what to do. I shattered my iPhone screen today after a year and 8 months. I need protection for iPad 2.

icsaszar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you done it yet? I have the same problem too. If i can find a solution ill post it. I wont even try whit a saw or something. I'd rather try to pry it apart. Or something there must be an other solution. Or ill contact zagg or otterbox.

iCrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have had the same issue with the defender and the zagg. I remembered that my defender came with a screen protector. So I pulled off the zagg and replaced it with the screen protector that came with the defender.

I have had the otter box screen protector on my iPad for a couple of weeks, with the defender case. I have not had any issues with removing the defender from the iPad.

I guess the solution is that otter box should put a note in the defender saying that their case is only compatable with their screen protector.

iCrush

Cord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you bought your Otterbox from AT&T or on eBay and did not get the Otterbox screen protectors (2) & microfiber cleaning cloth, call Otterbox and politely ask the CSR person to send them out. I did and they were shipped out via FedEx at N/C...... Great company and customer service..

Most reactions

Latest posts