What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ottawa Hospital Orders 1,800 iPad 2s

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hosshess said:
So my IT dept says the only reason thy can do this is that "they don't have HIPAA in Canada" and that the iPad (and iPhones as I want to have mine on the exchange server) are a risk to that. Anyone able to succinctly refute that?

Not sure if you work for a hospital or what, but there are some hospital systems in the US that access their EMR through an iPad Citrix connection.

BigTex71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hosshess;196564 So my IT dept says the only reason thy can do this is that "they don't have HIPAA in Canada" and that the iPad (and iPhones as I want to have mine on the exchange server) are a risk to that. Anyone able to succinctly refute that?[/QUOTE said:
That is why we use an IPSec connection to our VPN for the iPads. They can securely log in and access the terminal servers via RDP (similar to using the Citrix connection quoted below.)

Not sure if you work for a hospital or what, but there are some hospital systems in the US that access their EMR through an iPad Citrix connection.

Both are acceptable, considering proper security policies are in place.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And by August there'll be 1800 happier/richer patients who've managed to walk out with them...!

Forget data security, how are they securing the ipads themselves?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And by August there'll be 1800 happier/richer patients who've managed to walk out with them...!

Forget data security, how are they securing the ipads themselves?

I'm guessing that they have security of some sort that works, or the first 500 iPads that they've already been using would've disappeared.

maliu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hosshess said:
So my IT dept says the only reason thy can do this is that "they don't have HIPAA in Canada" and that the iPad (and iPhones as I want to have mine on the exchange server) are a risk to that. Anyone able to succinctly refute that?

Yes, a simple google search shows that Canada indeed has laws very similar to HIPAA.

bettafan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Best Buy for you iPad 2 if you are in the USA. I placed my order with the online Apple store and called my local Best Buy store every day right after opening. Took less than a week at Best Buy. After I got mine from Best Buy, I cancelled my online order.

Most reactions

Latest posts