What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Other' in iTunes Sync

rday89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed that I have 5.3 GB of 'Other' files when syncing my iPad via iTunes. Does anyone know what this could be, where I could out myself, and/or how to get rid of it without restoring?

My iPad is jailbroken on 4.3.3 (don't have blobs saved so restoring isn't really an option).

P.S. Apologies if this has already been covered but have used search and couldn't find anything similar.

Thanks.

OP
R

rday89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Checked out the link - I'm aware of the 14GB 'real' capacity, but without counting the 'missing' 2GB I still have 5.3GB taken up by 'Other' - and I have no idea what this is..

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No one really knows what "Other" is. We do know it's app data (say that you have a writing app - well, any documents you have on the iPad within that app are "other"). It's iTunes' way of saying "I don't know what this stuff is ... so I'm going to call it other).

A lot of people have had success with syncing with iTunes, while others claim that running a backup fairly regularly helps remove some other space. Or, take a look at all your apps and see which might be saving stuff (e.g. game info, documents, books, etc.). Maybe you can move some of that.

I think (though I could be wrong) - that some of the jailbreak tweaks might show up as Other too. But, not sure... Or, maybe you've got some tweaks that store music or movies - that might be Other space. Again, iTunes says stuff is Other when it can't classify it.

TBH - the most reliable way to remove/lower the Other space IS a restore - which you don't want to do. So, take a look at the stuff that's within your apps. Maybe you can remove some of the data that you no longer need or is duplicated.

Short version: It's like chasing a phantom that nobody really knows for sure how to fix, short of a restore.

Sorry not more helpful.

Marilyn

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On Mac forums, there have been a bunch of threads asking about how to remove or reduce the "other." People report success with various methods, but YMMV.

My "other" is less than 1GB on both my 64GB iPads, so it's not been a problem.

OP
R

rday89

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Will have a look through my apps this evening :)

Most reactions

Latest posts