What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OpenNotifier - Notifications in the Status Bar

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You know when you get those pop-ups that tell you that you've got new mail, a new text or an appointment/meeting reminder? You know how you quickly dismiss them because you are | | this close to getting that last pig in Angry Birds and you don't want the interruption(s)? And, finally, remember how you forgot about that notification, and you missed that important e-mail, text or appointment? Well, there's a tweak for that:

OpenNotifier (Free)
[Cydia Description] OpenNotifier is a brand-new, fully-customizable StatusNotifier for iOS 4. Features: Ultra-customizable - you can assign any status bar icon to any app, install additional icons from Cydia almost like Winterboard themes, add badges to non-badging push apps (like Sportacular), silent mode icon, full retina/non-retina display support and includes handset, envelope, speech bubble, silent and exclamation point icons with many more available in Cydia.

With this tweak installed (and properly set up in Settings - by picking which icons represent which apps), you have reminders of notifications - right in the status bar. For any app that applies a badge to its icon when it sends a push notification, you can select an OpenNotifier icon to represent it. In addition, if an app doesn't apply a badge with its pushes, you can still add an icon based on the push only. I managed to get a screenshot of the majority of the notifications I use:

OpenNotifier.jpg

The free tweak comes with some standard icons, plus there are some other free ones available for download on Cydia [go to Sections>Addons (OpenNotifier)]. The creator of the tweak has recently released a Premier Pack ($1.99 USD). Here's a picture of the icons you get with this package:

OpenNotifierPremiumPack.png

The reminder icons even show on the lock screen and are removed from the status bar only after you've gone to the applicable app. No more forgetting who sent what when! For a person of my advancing years … and declining memory … this tweak is superb.

Marilyn

Last edited:

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at your screenies and saw your carrier name is your username! Leigh did that and I copied him so did you copy him too?
We are setting a trend! :D

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, personally, used MakeItMine - although some have said that doesn't work for them. There is also FakeCarrier. Both are free in Cydia.

It's a small thing, but making your iPad show that it's yours? Very satisfying! :)

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This had totally passed me by Marilyn. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I love it now I've used it for a couple of days. Bought the extra icons too. Very cool.

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How on Gods green, do you make this work? I have set up the apps and logos, but I get no notifications at all... Tried both to respring and reboot. No difference...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coffeeboy said:
How on Gods green, do you make this work? I have set up the apps and logos, but I get no notifications at all... Tried both to respring and reboot. No difference...

All I had to do was set the icons in the Settings screen, respring, and then wait for the notifications...

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm... Could it be a 3G-only thing? Sounds far-fetched, but I have a WiFi-only and that's about the only difference... I even tried using Backgrounder to no avail...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm... Could it be a 3G-only thing? Sounds far-fetched, but I have a WiFi-only and that's about the only difference... I even tried using Backgrounder to no avail...

Pretty sure it would not be a "3G thing". And backgrounder? What are you doing with that? Does not sound like a good idea to me. Absolutely no need for it on iPad2 IMHO, and whilst I'm not up to date on whether it is still being developed / updated, it could be causing your problems...

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't think so, since ON didn't work prior nor after I set Backgrounder...

Else, I use BG only to kill my BlueFire e-book reader (up until now that is), since it locked my device on shut down... Mickey330 suggested it and it solved my problem...

Hmmm, let's wait and see if others have isues with ON, shall we? Or, maybe, I've just missed some simple setting, eh? ;)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I do use Backgrounder and Open Notifier on my iPad. Backgrounder is only set to put an exception on Bluefire Reader so it won't hang when you close the app (this is a known fault with Bluefire and JB'd devices).

However, I am using both these items on an iPad1 (don't get to play too much with the iPad2 ... it's my mom's).

All that said - it doesn't make any sense that Open Notifier isn't working. If I may ask the obvious question ... did you actually enable it in Settings? It's not enough to just pick the icons, it has to be enabled.

Other than that, I've got nothing. Sorry.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK. My bad on backgrounder. It's fine if you have it correctly setup for that example you gave. I'm stumped too.

keyblade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't think so, since ON didn't work prior nor after I set Backgrounder...

Else, I use BG only to kill my BlueFire e-book reader (up until now that is), since it locked my device on shut down... Mickey330 suggested it and it solved my problem...

Hmmm, let's wait and see if others have isues with ON, shall we? Or, maybe, I've just missed some simple setting, eh? ;)

I have the same issue -- I turn everything on, set the notifications, respring -- nothing happens. I don't have backgrounder installed.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys are ticking icons to be shown in the settings app, and you do have notifications to show, don't you? Just checking!

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Obviously incoming e-mails show up now, since I've received a few... As with the rest of them, I wouldn't know... At least not yet... Well, MyPad+ doesn't show icon at status bar, come to think about it...

Edit: I re-installed Friendly due to slight malfunction and now it works as supposed to again. Remains to be seen about the notifications...

Edit 2: Friendly refuses to show notifictions at statusbar. I have set it to notify me, but I get none whatsoever... Maybe I'm missing something? Haven't received any PMs on Twitter yet, so I can't tell about this yet...

Last edited:

Most reactions