What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening MS-Word Docs in iPad !

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a quick question if I have like an Word Document as an attachment to my mail which I access it from my mail in the iPad, when I Open it where will it get saved in the iPad and can I edit it and save it again. What is the MS-Word, Excel equivalent in the App store which is of course free I dont wanna but any thing for the moment.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a quick question if I have like an Word Document as an attachment to my mail which I access it from my mail in the iPad, when I Open it where will it get saved in the iPad and can I edit it and save it again. What is the MS-Word, Excel equivalent in the App store which is of course free I dont wanna but any thing for the moment.

When you open a document in Mail, it doesn't get saved anywhere. The viewer in the Mail app is just for quick views, not for editing.

For editing, you will have to have an app that can open and edit Word (or whatever kind) documents. Then you would press and hold the attachment in Mail until you see a pop-up that has "Open In..." From there, you would select an app to edit the document. Of course, you would have to have the app already loaded...

I can't help you as far as free apps for word document editing are concerned. I use Documents to Go, others use Pages, neither of which are free. The only thing I can suggest is to browse the Free section of the App Store and have a browse.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you open a document in Mail, it doesn't get saved anywhere. The viewer in the Mail app is just for quick views, not for editing.

For editing, you will have to have an app that can open and edit Word (or whatever kind) documents. Then you would press and hold the attachment in Mail until you see a pop-up that has "Open In..." From there, you would select an app to edit the document. Of course, you would have to have the app already loaded...

I can't help you as far as free apps for word document editing are concerned. I use Documents to Go, others use Pages, neither of which are free. The only thing I can suggest is to browse the Free section of the App Store and have a browse.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Ok, If I wish to go for any Paid APP which is the best one that you would like to suggest. Which almost has a look and feel and an experience like the microsoft word.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, If I wish to go for any Paid APP which is the best one that you would like to suggest. Which almost has a look and feel and an experience like the microsoft word.

First, take a look at this THREAD on comparison of office apps!

Second, I use Pages ($10 in the App Store) which is part of Apple's iWork for iOS devices (Pages is like Word, Numbers like Excel, & Keynote like Powerpoint; of course, these apps do not have the power & depth of their computer equivalents) - so there are a number of excellent paid apps that should meet your needs - good luck in your selection - :)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
First, take a look at this THREAD on comparison of office apps!

Second, I use Pages ($10 in the App Store) which is part of Apple's iWork for iOS devices (Pages is like Word, Numbers like Excel, & Keynote like Powerpoint; of course, these apps do not have the power & depth of their computer equivalents) - so there are a number of excellent paid apps that should meet your needs - good luck in your selection - :)

Right. QuickOffice is my favorite. Been happy with it for a while now. Catch it on sale if you can. Check out the others too, they all have plusses and minuses.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have done my own bit research on it and have come to these two APPS that I think suits me the best But I am now totally confused on which one do I choose between these. Both of them have equal amount of fan following and both of them have equal amount of positive and negative reviews and it is becoming difficult for me to find out which one should I go for.The one's that I have selected are

1. Quick Office PRO HD
2. Documents to go

The Plus and Minuses that I have read about both these Apps are Documents to go has a solid funtionality, support for MS-Word so anyone wanting to work on MS-Word I think Documents to go looks promising. Quick Pro HD in totality is a good APP with very intutive interface.

Now a little on my need and requirement. I am gonna be extensively working on MS-Word and MS-Excel. So I am looking out for a APP which has the most comprehensive support and functionalty covered with the respect to those. I am looking out for a APP which has a very powerful Word Editing ability like maximum number of Fonts included like "Calibri" I can add bullet points and stuff. People have made me to believe that Quick Office is the best in terms of User Experience general UI and stuff. So overall Quick Office is something that one should go for. But I am also made to believe Documents to go has a very good word editing software. What do I do ? I think I want to go for Quick Office but I am just worried will it have the same Editing abilities like documents to go !

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
....Now a little on my need and requirement. I am gonna be extensively working on MS-Word and MS-Excel. So I am looking out for a APP which has the most comprehensive support and functionalty covered with the respect to those. I am looking out for a APP which has a very powerful Word Editing ability like maximum number of Fonts included like "Calibri" I can add bullet points and stuff. People have made me to believe that Quick Office is the best in terms of User Experience general UI and stuff. So overall Quick Office is something that one should go for. But I am also made to believe Documents to go has a very good word editing software. What do I do ? I think I want to go for Quick Office but I am just worried will it have the same Editing abilities like documents to go !

Vish26, I'm concerned with your phrase "extensively" and "powerful Word Editing". The two apps you have chosen, allows for a very basic, rudimentary ability to read a Word or Excel file, and they allow you to edit sections of those files. BUT not extensively. You will need Pages or Numbers to do "extensive". HOWEVER, you will also need a keyboard to do this work on your iPad as relying on the onboard keyboard with finger point highlighting to cut and paste is very time consuming and often off target.

I have used all four apps. First Office Pro HD, good app and does the job if all I needed to do was review, change a word here and there or a number. But proved to be too basic. So I went to Documents To Go, another good app, again to do basic review and simple edits. But in either apps, you cannot reformat a page or reapply formulas to a cell globally. So I bought Pages and Numbers.These apps allowed me to do 'extensive' work on Word and Excel spreadsheets.

BUT creating and setting up new documents in either apps is extremely difficult on the iPad. It is physically too small to do the kind of document creation your post implies. What would I recommend? Use your Personal Computer to do the major work, send it to your iPad to review and simple edits. And send your documents back to your laptop/PC for final tweaking and distribution.

This is how I work documents. My iPad is a critical step in my document review process. It is easeir to take with me than a laptop when I review documents with individuals and when I go to meetings to review the same documents. As the document is reviewed with an individual or in a group setting, quick edits and simple insertions on the iPad allow me to adjust quickly.

I hope this helps.

OP
V

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yes, I do intend to create whatever docs that I wanna create on my desktop but after that If I need to edit those, that is the time when I am looking out for a powerful APP. I tried Pages on one of my friends iPad, my first impression was, it was just about ok. But you are saying it is anytime better than Quick Office Pro HD right ?

If I have to select between quick office and documents to go which one would you recommend?

Most reactions