What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OMNIPLAN vs SP PROJECT PRO

khun84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting an efficient project management apps on my pad. After some find and search, ive shortlisted 2 apps that might fit into my requirements.

SG PROJECT PRO
1. The most advantageous aspect of sg office pro is its ability to share the file in pdf or ms project compatible xml file, which is a mush have feature in an apps that requires rapid collaboration and coordination between different individuals.
2. The summary report that it could produce to project a prespective of the managed project. Its very efficient in status presenting while keeping the clarity and brevity intact.
3. The user interface is maybe the only showstopper for me as it looks quite boring as an apps for an idevice, though it actually adopted the interface layout of ms project.

OMNIPLAN
1. A very impressive user interface which at least make project management become less boring.
2. The shortfall is that it lacks the essence of a project management tools, a universal file format export feature (pdf) and project sumary. The developer claims that the pdf export feature is in their update shortlist.

These are the skimmed overview that i manage to extract from their product description. Please feel free to drop ur opinion here if u guys happended to come across these 2 apps.

OP
K

khun84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ops, sry with the typo on the thread title, should be "SG PROJECT PRO"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not that many people are project managers, or work in environments where direct involvement in project management reaches their level (other than the occasional company progress report).

Though it is more common that when I started working. I'm convinced that my supervisors just winged it. I certainly did. ;)

But it is nice to see that the tools are out there.

bassman99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited for OmniPlan which just came out. I felt it had a bit more "precision" in the scheduling than SG, so opted to wait. LOVE IT!

Please note that print to PDF isn't available yet, but Omniplan is working on it. Not sure about MS Project (doubt it), but too much would be lost during import/export with either product anyway. I use MS Project for the big jobs, and OmniPlan for the little fun ones I wouldn't otherwise do.

OmniPlan just came out last week. It is rock-solid, but was intentionally released missing a few features which will be provided soon. I suggest Googling "omniplan iPad forum".

gcbrent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have both SG Project Pro and OmniPlan.

In my opinion, SGPP is much more professional feeling. The reports generated are first rate and allows me to send task details to the responsible person for that task. It also can outline their tasks for all projects that I have on the go, which is quite a few! I find the additional risk reporting that can be associated with certain tasks to be a great help in ensuring risks are addressed.

Grouping tasks and making tasks become a subset of other tasks is also a great feature. I can either group them under legal contracts as I sometimes do, or by steps.
The creation of tasks is fast and easy and they can also be shuffled around if you forgot one further up the list.

Omniplan is a fantastic looking app with quite a lot of features however it does not reach quite the same level as SGPP. With the latest update, it now let's you export to PDF which should have been in the original. Did they really need people to tell them they may want to show other people the project? How are you to email people their tasks??? That however has been fixed now and I have used both apps extensively however keep finding myself using SGPP.

I hope that this helps.

Brent

Most reactions