What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldie onto FaceTime Q.

OP
S
Reaction score
That said. The iPad is not the ideal device for what you want. There are video phone products out there specifically made for seniors with dementia or other limitations. I don't know enough to offer good advice on them, but a search for Senior Video Phones should turn up several options.
Hi twerppoet, ok thanks for your last two posts. This clears things up.

Once I could get to the ipad, I could've got him an Appel ID, & set up the FaceTime "registration" by following the advice on the replies early on. I was too exhausted at xmas to research how, then do these " registration " steps.

It was only ever whether doing this procedure -away- from his iPad was possible, which was the core point of the thread. So, it seems this isn't. Ok so this will have to wait until I'm back there then.

He doesn't have dementia, though I can see you might think so. He just cannot cope with for eg, 95% of the buttons on a tv remote (daftly too many- a hopeless design these things, I think you'd agree). So he can only cope with:

A) pressing one, or now that seems to be two in succession, green buttons.

And B) FaceTime only, because he has some familiarity with it (watching my mum use her ipad & being present at her/ their FaceTime calls). So any other system will just complicate things by a factor of 10.

And C) because me, my mum, our old friend, another friend, & my brother & family... all those they 'talk' to, all have ipads & use its facetime.. so any other video call thing just isn't sensible.

D) FaceTime -is- well designed, simple obvious coloured buttons, one to answer (now two very annoyingly, which might scupper the whole idea).

Thanks, Schwanger

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I'm sorry we couldn't come up with a better solution.

As for remotes, I agree. Once upon a time, about 30 years ago, I loved complicated gizmos and remotes. The extra features entertained me. At some point I changed. Now a big part of shopping for a new TV is looking for the simplest remote I can find. It's not that I can't figure them out. I just don't want to 'have to' figure them out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Much appreciate the replies chaps.

I agree entirely with the effort in trying to understand remotes- it seems the japanese & koreans brains are far more adept at a ton of info condensed on a remote, maybe it's because they eat more fish I don't know!

I'll dig back into the help on here next time I'm back visiting them.

Very useful information.

Thanks Schwanger

Most reactions

Latest posts