What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old vs new

jen3247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have an Ipad 1 and getting a new one from Santa. What's the best way to get everything from the old to the new. Hopefully I don't have to redownload all my apps etc.
If I back up the old one on itunes can I then put everything on the new one?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely!

The best process is to use iTunes to do this:

(1) make a backup of the iPad1 before you even plug the new iPad (remember the time); then disconnect the iPad1 from iTunes

(2) Plus in the new iPad and follow along as iTunes starts setting it up for you (just keep following the prompts and clicking "stuff")

(3) Eventually, iTunes will ask you whether to set the iPad up as new or restore from backup. Elect to "restore from backup" and then pick that fresh iPad1 backup you made (which is why you wanted to remember the time). iTunes will finish doing its magic and, when it's done, you should have a new iPad that looks like the old. Well, except it'll be new ... with a retina screen ... and screamingly fast. :D

Hopefully, that's what happens. Holler back if you have troubles. And, congrats on the [coming from Santa] new iPad. :)

Marilyn

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends, when I switch from iPad to iPad mini, I set it up as new iPad and manually selected what I wanted to install in iTunes. You can back up your current iPad then restore from that but I've heard people have lots of problems restoring from an iPad 1 to the current generation. You can try either or both methods and if you don't like the results just do a factory restore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
J

jen3247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn!! Do the chargers and cords work or do I have to get all new ones. Do they have the same plugs?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It depends on which "new" iPad you are getting. If you are getting an iPad 4 or a Mini - you will need the new Lightening connector. If you get the iPad3 or lower, then your existing 30-pin connector will work fine.

Regardless, you will get a charger block and USB cord with your new iPad - so you'll have something at the start.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts