What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok now this is getting ridiculous..Ipad Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I transfered about 5 videos that I had converted with handbrake onto my ipad, using the same method that I use to transfer music. Just drag and drop from PC to Ipad.

When you go to "videos" they show up as white boxes with no label at all.. granted they all play just fine but its annoying and pointless to have your video menu to be unlabeled.

SO, after reading a tip to transfer the videos to my "movie" library in itunes and then "sync" them using itunes. I did that and of course it deleted all my stuff (except my apps). So ok I was fine with that but now I want to add more videos and once again it wants to delete all my stuff just to add one more video.

this is beyond ridiculous, i cant even beleive they allow this to be the way... anyone have any ideas that can help me get past this? Thanks

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At least one lesson was learn here.
Sync only if you must - like photo Album.
Although also with photo, there are programs that can bypass the iTune.
I am sure that true also for Video Movies

My Book, Songs, DOC files , Magazines - I never sync them.
Only thing I Sync is App.

Can't help you with the video, since I don't have any experience with it.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anything you want to keep on the iDevice must have a check by it, even if it's already on the iDevice, it assumes if it's not checked, you don't want it on the iDevice. If you want to add something, just check the item, leaving all others checked. It will only sync the new items, because it knows the old ones are still there. If you only check the new item and not the others, yes it will erase the others. If you just put the new items into iTunes, you must go into movies/videos and select all the items you want to be put on the iDevice. Once checked however they should stay checked until you remove the checks from them.

suhaimiputeh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ike12

the best and easiest way to do is :-

i) connect your ipad to computer
ii) copy the file (.mp4) from your computer and paste it into your itunes, on your device's 'movie' library.(paste via >file>paste on top of the itunes page), NOT by your mouse right click.
iii) once you paste, the sync signal will run on your ipad automatically.
iv) check your movie list on the ipad, it will show the title and intro pic.

hope this helps.

OP
I

ike12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you I will try this. and yes I have VLC but I already converted these and also why should I be forced to use a 3rd party video player when the ipad has its own and was the main reason i wanted an ipad to begin with.

suhaimiputeh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
and for any reason, NEVER click sync on the itunes!!! it will somehowe will make your dir or existing files/photo or doc erased without your control...!

Brewc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm wondering about this also, Ive never had an issue with i touch or iphone, and got the ipad for Christmas. Hope to be able to add the kids disney movies to it for trips, anyone reccomend a converter for those that I don't have a digital download of?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to my video folder and hit select all....then copy, then went to movie section in iTunes and hit "file" and paste and out of 218 short video clips it would only had like 13 of them in some random order! Any ideas why it wouldn't transfer them all? The 13 play fine in the movie app on iPad

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I even selected all from my video folder and clicked and drag into movies in iTunes....and it still only put on the same 13 videos, and it says "some could not be copied because they cannot be played on this iPad" BUT all the cell videos came from the same phone so that does not make sence!!!!!!!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The basic video player on the iPad is a version of quicktime which only plays videos in mp4 format.
That said there are other video apps such as VLC and CineXplayer which can play a wider range of formats.

So choices.
You can either convert your videos to mp4 using a program like Handbrake (free mac/win) or install other players like those mentioned above. A third choice is to use a streaming app such as AirVideo which runs on your main desktop/laptop and streams the video to your iPad. It's actually very good in use and best of all it saves you loads of storage space on the ipad, as an average video can use between 750mb to 1.5 gb.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I transfered about 5 videos that I had converted with handbrake onto my ipad, using the same method that I use to transfer music. Just drag and drop from PC to Ipad.

When you go to "videos" they show up as white boxes with no label at all.. granted they all play just fine but its annoying and pointless to have your video menu to be unlabeled.

If your videos show up without thumbnail pictures and/or labels; it is because no thumbnail or titles have been entered in the files tag. You need to get a program like mp3Tag V2 to enter titles and thumbnails before you import the video to the iTunes. Also make sure the correct genre is enter in the tag. iTunes and iPad will not automatically use the file name for the title label.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The hoops you have to jump through to play a video on the ipad are ridiculous. My Android phone plays ANY file format. Mp4, m4v, mkv, avi, etc. All natively. Why can't the ipad do that?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The hoops you have to jump through to play a video on the ipad are ridiculous. My Android phone plays ANY file format. Mp4, m4v, mkv, avi, etc. All natively. Why can't the ipad do that?

Business.

Apple doesn't want you to transfer your own video files to the iPad. They want you to buy videos from the iTunes store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts