What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK,, I take it back...

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some members of this forum may recall that I've often scoffed at the description of Apple's description of the iPad as a 'magical' device. While I'm totally enamored of this machine, I'm jaded enough to snicker at the mystical description. Well, I hereby recant those deprications. You see, I first bought the iPad as a device to aid my disabled wife in accessing email and the web. I took the first week of ownership to learn its workings before I presented it to Laurie and today, feeling confident, I gave her the machine and let her use it as I assisted.

She can use the touch screen. She can call up and read email. With a little help, she can tap out simple replys. After I put in the bookmarks, she can tap on the screen and interact with websites. Plus, she finds it easier to read her Kindle books than she did on the Kindle itself.

After about half an hour she cried a little...she tapped out a simple email to her brother and got a response of congratulations on her success in using the functions.

So I take it back. This little gizmo brought joy to someone. It's magical.

I should never have doubted.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think this is a first.... crying reading an iPad forum. Hope you both continue to find reasons to love this magical device!

mpengle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's awesome. Magical or not at least she is enjoying it!

Rick Ornberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eaglemountainpromotions.com
What a great post!

The therapeutic benefits of the iPad were apparent to me right away. I'm in my 60's and find that with the combination of a bad disk in my neck along with raising my head to read on my computer with tri-focal glasses my neck pain increases. I had to limit my online reading to shorter time periods. Now I can control the screen position completely, and even adjust for sizes and brightness with iBooks.

Reading is now a pleasure again.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story. I knew it was magical the day I spoke to an 80 something year old woman at Best Buy while she was deciding if she could use the device. She said she needed something she could see, that was easy for 'her old mind' to grasp, and was light enough for her to carry to her kitchen table. She said, "I have to have a way to email my grand and great grand children since they don't know how to right a regular letter anymore". When I showed her how to make the screen larger, she turned to the Apple Rep and said, 'get me one of these'.

JeffMorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Between this and the video of the lady who hasn't been able to read or write in years finding the same sort of thing with her ipad are amazing.

fairoasis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Between this and the video of the lady who hasn't been able to read or write in years finding the same sort of thing with her ipad are amazing.

Did everyone see the 99 yr old woman that got an iPad for her 100th B'day? I cried.

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear! Remind other nay sayers of your tale the next time you hear someone decree it is just a big iPhone. Take care my friend.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Magic is not performed by a device, but by people. That a device can bring such joy, tho, should make the magicians at Apple very pleased. May more people that need it, get to experience this magic in their lives.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some members of this forum may recall that I've often scoffed at the description of Apple's description of the iPad as a 'magical' device. While I'm totally enamored of this machine, I'm jaded enough to snicker at the mystical description. Well, I hereby recant those deprications. You see, I first bought the iPad as a device to aid my disabled wife in accessing email and the web. I took the first week of ownership to learn its workings before I presented it to Laurie and today, feeling confident, I gave her the machine and let her use it as I assisted.

She can use the touch screen. She can call up and read email. With a little help, she can tap out simple replys. After I put in the bookmarks, she can tap on the screen and interact with websites. Plus, she finds it easier to read her Kindle books than she did on the Kindle itself.

After about half an hour she cried a little...she tapped out a simple email to her brother and got a response of congratulations on her success in using the functions.

So I take it back. This little gizmo brought joy to someone. It's magical.

I should never have doubted.
It IS magical! I got goosebumps reading that...

harv2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You just reinforced one of the early decisions I made. I don't have my pad in yet, it's on order, but I recently picked up a B&N Nook and arrived at the conclusion that such a pad was going to be a gift I would give should someone close to me become disabled. In the case of the Nook, it was the sudden realization that a person who can't get out to a Bookstore can acquire a book and read it comfortable for quite a long time untethered. In the case of the iPad, it became a lot of forms of communications, and my hope that using those communications was so simple that even the "untrained" could handle them.

Most reactions

Latest posts