What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Offline Sync App

Egrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello forum - I have a genuine need for a app that will synchronise data from my laptop/pc to my iPad.

We've tested some Apps, but they are falling short of the mark in some of my requirements.

Does anyone know of an App that will do the following:

1 ) Sync data (namely pictures) from an Internet connected PC/laptop to iPad App
2) The iPad App needs to be able to view the Sync'd files when it has NO internet connection (so if it's in airplane mode, we still need to be able to view the files
3) We need to view the files in full picture mode with no frame around them (LiveDrive and EveryNote both have their own interface and unable to view the images without seeing their own pane of glass around the sync'd images)
4) Need to have multiple nodes (ie: more than 1 iPad2 connecting to the shared resource.

Thought it was worth asking if anyone is successfully using an application for such purposes.

Regards
George.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
DropBox?

A paid for account can have shared folders and stuff. Any file marked as a favorite on the iPad will be stored locally on that iPad, instead of being downloaded only when selected; so it will be up to the user to choose what files to keep locally.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I withdraw the DropBox suggestion. On second glance it does not do everything you want, mostly the way it views photos.

OP
E

Egrog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'd not tried dropbox but from what I read the need to flag something as a favorite to get it to cache is quite irritating for the end user. This is also the way the Livedrive briefcase functions but sadly the Livedrive feature does not function as advertised.

Any other ideas community?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, Evernote maybe.

It does sync automatically (when it is opened) so that your files are available offline. While you have to find the note and open the picture file it does display the pic frameless. The paid for account can share notebooks, though only the originating account can edit them (from the iPad).

On the plus side it offers a lot of organization and search features to make things easier to find, and you can use to to share other file types like PDF, audio notes, etc. And each user can use to take notes, of course.

If you leave it running on the laptop it will happily keep itself synced there, and if you need to make changes from elsewhere you can use the web interface.

Not the neatest solution, but doable. The extra features might make it even more worthwhile, or just be an annoyance. Your call.

Most reactions

Latest posts