What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Student App List

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been hunting around looking for a well generated list of apps that are excellent for students. So far all I've been able to do is come across a list of 10 basic apps that are, in my opinion, poor lists.

Hoping for members of the forum to contribute the different apps you use for class or other scenarios alike that have been useful.

I'll read all posts as much as I can and add the different apps to the list! Post the app name, the cost, and a brief review of the app!

1. Pages - $9.99: Pages is the word processor for Mac and has been redesigned for the iPad. With this app you can type essays, create brochures, flyers, reports, and more. You are able to export and save your finished product in a variety of different forms - including .docx format. This is an essential program for just about anyone and is perfect for taking notes in class, during lectures, or in meetings.
  2. Things - $19.99: This proves to be a big convenience for students who need to remember scores of activities, meetings, lectures and sessions they may have enrolled for. For students who don't have a busy schedule, this probably wouldn't be worth the $20 you would be spending on it.
  3. Dropbox - Free: With Dropbox you can easily transfer documents, pictures, videos, and more between your computer and iPad by simply drag and dropping. You get 2GB of free storage and are able to get up to 8GB by referring members. The computer installation is quick and easy and all the files you put in there automatically upload to the server and are accessible from wherever by simply logging into your account!
  4. Penultimate - $1.99: Perfect app if you prefer to write in a notebook but store it digitally. You're able to keep individual notebooks for each class, project or whatever your needs are. With this, you can write and take notes and not have to worry about carrying a textbook around that is vulnerable to damage.
  5. Evernote - Free:: An amazing app for note taking. Although I don't like this app as much as OneNote for PC, but it has one major advantage, portability. You can access your Evernote from nearly any smartphone and anything with internet!

-Premium1337

Last edited:

xgamma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does penultimate allow you to type notes as well as draw charts/figures, etc? or is it only for freehand drawing/writing?

I often like to type notes, but then have to draw figures, and then take more notes.

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does penultimate allow you to type notes as well as draw charts/figures, etc? or is it only for freehand drawing/writing?

I often like to type notes, but then have to draw figures, and then take more notes.

Handwrite only (to my knowledge).

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are thinking about purchasing Things, I suggest checking out OmniFocus first, superior

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must determine for yourself what productivity is worth, OmniFocus is the superior product

Victguja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at Note Taker HD. It is a very good one doing what you are saying you need and much more. I am using it daily.

xgamma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have a look at Omnifocus (although it's a bit pricey) and Note Taker HD.

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have a look at Omnifocus (although it's a bit pricey) and Note Taker HD.

Note Taker HD looks like a good app, I think I'll purchase it and give it a chance. I'll add it to the list when I get a chance! (back to class!)

OP
P

Premium1337

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best app I have yet to use is hands down, Notability. It has the best organization and mimics much of OneNote. They also have amazing customer service and reply within a couple of hours.

They emailed me telling they are working on designing the ability to create subcategories inside the different subjects you have created. Once this happens, I will be thrilled and will have a OneNote replacement.

It also has a very easy method to export files as .PDFs to DropBox and other alike sharing services. This is now the only note taking app I use in class. I'd honestly be willing to pay $20 for this app, it definitely is underpriced and is a necessity for all students who use their iPad for notes.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys may want to try Appstart, it is, or was yesterday, available on the AppStore for free and has loads of app lists, including for students as well as lots of nifty tips and tricks.

The Archangel

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best app I have yet to use is hands down, Notability.

Thanks, I downloaded this just now and played a bit. Pretty nice, transferred some of my notes from Apples Notes app. Was only 99¢. Well worth it for that price.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No suggestions from med students....
Here is some:
1) medscape - for drugs, procedures, conditions etc - all in one referance
2) micromedex drug information - more complete drug info
3) soundbuilder - pretty basic but helps you understand heart sounds
4) iAnnotate with PDF version of USMLE first aid - will help youn find answers when doing U-Wolrd questione

Most reactions

Latest posts