What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers to Excel Issue

daker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. I have encountered an issue with converting my numbers documents to excel. When I open the file in excel, a green triangle fills the top left corner of the first row of cells. Excel says the number is saved as text. When I use pivot tables, a new data set appears from nowhere and I don't have a clue where it references from. Thanks!

OP
daker

daker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the post, I figured out a solution.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thats a relief. I wouldn't even know where to start. And then there's the fact that I don't' have Excel, making testing a just a bit difficult. ;)

I wonder if the problem would show up in OpenOffice.

OP
daker

daker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, sorry. Excel was correct in saying that the number was saved as text. When I went back to my spreadsheet in Numbers and tapped the problematic cells, the keyboard popped up and the T was highlighted for which type of data to input in the cell (text, number, date, checkmark are the options). I had to select the number option and input the numbers that way. Excel didn't recognize the numbers input from the text option I guess. This was difficult to explain, so let me know if you could follow.

emingursoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased numbers but it does not open excel file, i receive the message spreadsheet could not be imported. Can anyone help me aboy this? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you use the standard .xls format when saving from Excel?

What method did you use to import the spreadsheet into Numbers?

Numbers may also have problems with advanced features in the Excel like pivot tables and scripting; though it should just tell you those features have been stripped and import anyway.

emingursoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used idisk but the problem is i have a excel file little complicated i guess that is the reason it is not recognize. My excell file has some macros. Do you think this might be the case?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Even if Numbers imported the file, it would strip the macros. It only supports basic features. Here are a couple of reviews that may give you an idea of what Numbers and similar solutions will do. No iPad app has the same full feature set of a desktop applications. To be certain it is a problem with the file and not a problem with importing try a simpler spreadsheet and see what happens.

Compare iWorks, Office 2 HD, Documents to Go, QuickOffice by richsdams
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Office Apps Comparison by RedCoil (details and examples, very long)
http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

Most reactions

Latest posts