What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Numbers and Hyperlinks

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, completely new to this and struggling! All help greatly appreciated.

Basically it's an iPad 3 question and the iWorks Numbers App. I'm pretty good with MS Excel but Numbers is new to me.

I'm putting on a set of Flight Reference Cards for the helicopter I fly commercially. This consists of about 200 worksheets. On worksheet 7'ish is the index, on that worksheet I've created a table of every warning indication you could possibly get and placed them in single cells of the table, next to each one is a cell that gives you which page (Worksheet) you would need to go to, to get the actions that are required to sort out the problem - these worksheets are just jpegs inserted onto the worksheet. (Just like an index really - ie engine stops - goto page/drill 27).

I guess I have to add a table to each sheet (easy) so I can link the index to the sheet and I guess this is by HYPERLINK? - I hope this makes some sense.

Basically I'm trying to select the warning cell and get it to go to the worksheet to deal with the problem.

I know how to enter the code I just don't know what the code is or how to get the HYPERLINK to work ....... All help greatly appreciated.

Best wishes in anticipation

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might be able to cobble something like this together in Keynote using tables and links, but Numbers only allows web links (no links to other worksheets), and they have to be entered as text inside a shape. You can't put a links in cells.

I put together a quick Keynote presentation with an index table slide with links to other slides. It's doable, but since it only works when you are in play mode, I doubt it is what you want.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your answer and though; certainly not your fault I have to say I'm more than a bit disappointed with the
functionality of the Numbers App. Sadly, you are right it's not workable in a play mode.

This is so basic in MS Excel. Why on earth can we not put in a simple VBA command into a formula to take us to another
worksheet. If anybody from iWork's reads this perhaps they'd like to comment.

But thanks very much again for replying and who knows somebody might know a work around.

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I doubt you are going to find VBA supported in any of the iPad's spreadsheet apps.

Good luck finding the app you need. It is probably out three.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still playing with this in my mind and I'm wondering?

A part of the Numbers prog (probably nothing to do with Numbers, but running all the time) is "Find", in the settings. Now, if I put something unique on each worksheet (thats easy most are Jpegs of the real things) say 01 to 200 in a text box. If i then Go to find; it takes me to the page I'm after!!!! So how does that work then?

Problem is this reduces the sizing of the jpeg and you have to expand it again to read it - I'm still fishing for help here if anybody is reading

Steve

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've played with this too, and have only come up with one solution, so far.

Since most of your notes are jpg anyway, you could probably use Evernote.

It has several view modes and lots of search and tagging ability. This might eliminate the need for a table of contents.

If it does not, then there is a feature called a Note Link. It's a link inside a note that takes you directly to another note. Essentially your notes can be wiki-like, linking to each other. It would be fairly easy to set up a table of contents note, and even include a link back to the table of contents in each note.

Note Links are not the same as Shared Links. They are internal to your Evernote account, not a URL that you email other people. That makes them quick and private.

The desktop app also allows a fair amount of RTF editing, including tables.

There are two downsides.

1) As far as I can tell you can only create Note Link using the computer app. Neither the website nor the iPad can create them. They do however work on the iPad and the website. They are very nice on the iPad, as they linked note shows up in a window instead of just jumping to the other note.

2) The free Evernote account only works online. It sounds like you'll be using this in the helo, and therefore off line. To keep your Evernote notes stored locally (beyond what is buffered) you'll need to pay the $5/mo or $45/yr.

I'll keep an eye out for a better solution, and let you know if I run across one.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks all but company has already in to far in with numbers it's just a shame because the spreadsheet works a treat less the damn inability to link pages which I actually think is pretty basic from a spreadsheet.

My own fault I suppose but its so basic.

Yes we use them in the aircraft and in flight for many functions and online is not always an option I work 300nm off shore daily, Thanks again.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my experience everyone thinks that the features they use are 'basic'. Just human nature. I seriously doubt that the average user uses hyperlinks in a spreadsheet, let alone scripting languages. iWorks is advertised (or was) as a consumer product, not a business solution.

That said, the Max OSX version is considerably more powerful, and many people have confused descriptions of it with the iOS version.

Where are you seeing this hyperlink claim? It's not in the iTunes Store description, or I'm missing it.

Last edited:
OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's in the £5.99 iWork's operators manual for numbers for IOS

"When you type or paste a web address or email address in a text box or shape (but not a table), Numbers recognizes it and autoformats it as an underlined hyperlink. (The link must be followed by a space or punctuation mark for Numbers to recognize it.) To open the link or copy its URL to the clipboard (for later pasting), tap the link to make a pop up window appear, and then tap Open (for web addresses), New Message (for email addresses), or Copy. Tapping Open switches to Safari or Mail. To edit or remove the link, tap Link Settings."

I've removed that comment now but it's quite clear on what it can and can't do. Does the max iOS version work on the iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There was no need to remove the comment. I just wanted to see where you were coming from with it; and clear up any misunderstandings if present.

Files from Mac OS X versions of iWorks will import to the iOS version, but features that are not supported are stripped from the files. You'll receive a warning dialog listing what was removed (if something is removed) on import.

Simple documents often import without any warnings, and work perfectly.

Occasionally you can trick the iOS version into giving you something that's not normally available directly, like different document sizes or bullet styles. I've done both in Pages.

I did a quick test with Numbers to see if this could be one of the exceptions; but the hyperlinks inside cells do get stripped. Not that they would have helped you if they were kept, since only website and email URL addresses were supported.

NumLinkTest.jpg

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for trying anyway - am I just being stupid or ? All I have is 200 worksheets,on every worksheet except 2 are single jpegs. Why can't I insert a 1 cell table and hide it under said jpeg. Let's call it Drill 01 (worksheet) A1. Now on one of the (except 2) I have created the warnings you could receive ie FIRE on a single cell. Let's say B9....... Why can't I put a simple equation into said cell =b9,GOTO,Drill,01 or did I already say that???????

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mostly because there is no GOTO function in Numbers. Or any similar functions.

You are still looking for a scripting (programing) ability in Numbers, and it is not there. Nor in any of the other iPad spreadsheet apps that I am aware of.

It's tempting, I know. I mean, there's that IF function, and INDIRECT, and other conditional statements. I just seems like there ought to be a way. What is missing are any functions or other scriptable controls that act on the cells or tables themselves. Everything is geared to the content of the cell. Nothing can affect the attributes of the cell, table, or sheet.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are spot on of course and I should just accept what I have but ..................

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts