What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notifications don't work

Smig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, hello everyone!

I just bought an iPad 2 and I immediately started installing apps. I installed IM+ to connect to my MSN messenger account and everything worked perfectly but one thing that I didn't like was that I had to open the app to see if I had new messages. So then I installed imo.im and it was the same thing. I started to think the OS didn't allow the apps to tell me if there are new msgs but I knew the Mail app puts the number of msgs on top of the icon.

Then I realized what I missed was a feature of the OS called notifications. I remember both apps asked if I wanted to allow notifications and I answered yes to both. I also checked under settings -> notifications and the feature was on, also both apps appear on the list below and they have "Badges, Alerts and Sounds" selected so this seems to be configured.

My problem is that, up to this point, I had no notification come up, either in the form of popups, bagdes, sounds or whatever, for any app. What do you think might be the problem?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which particular apps are you not receiving notifications from? I have Pocket Informant HD - a diary and task manager app - and that is regularly using Notifications to remind me of coming appointments, meetings, deadlines etc.

As you're aware, there is no pop-up notification from the iPad's native Mail app to inform you of new mail but there are some third-party apps that provide that functionality in a roundabout way.

Tim

OP
S

Smig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nevermind. Problem solved. The company's firewall was the culprit. These notifications seem to use some ports that aren't normally open in a firewall.

I connected directly to the internet and I had all the alerts and badges that I would expect.

Most reactions

Latest posts