What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notification pull-down

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can this be set to stay on the widget (left) side? Half the time, it pulls down on the Notification side, which is totally useless to me.

The Control Center is bloated, too, but at least it seems to stay where I left it. Stupid Apple codemonkeys, keep "fixing" things that aren't broken...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iOS 10.2 update is supposed to leave the Notifications/Widget veiw in it's last state, so if you close it in Widget view it should be what you see the next time you pull it down. So far it's worked as advertised for me.

Prior version always showd you the Notification view first.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope, 10.2 here and it doesn't remember. I *never* leave it in Notifications view.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nope, 10.2 here and it doesn't remember. I *never* leave it in Notifications view.

Not sure why that would be. It might be a matter of iPad model, but for something that simple I can't imagine why Apple would not have included it for all models (that can take 10.2).

All I can recommend is the usual. Reset, and see what happens.

I'm not sure what you meant by the Control Center is bloated.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you meant by the Control Center is bloated.

It was fairly elegant before. Now it's giant buttons spread across two screens, somewhat defeating its goal of being quick and easy to access. I use the brightness slider all the time, as the "auto brighness" function is utterly worthless. That means side swiping for AirPlay. Control Center is a good feature, but should be user configurable. I never need the five big buttons in the left screen. Just another example of Apple losing the plot on interface design.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A matter of use cases, I suppose. I like the new Control Center. It's got bigger, more obvious buttons to hit on the playback controls; and once I use them they stay until I swipe back; which only takes a second. Admittedly this is a far better improvement on the iPhone than on the iPad; where I'm far more likely to want the playback controls.

I was somewhat annoyed by the new Notification/Widget pulldown; until they added the stickness. Now I'm happy with it again. I too use the Widget panel more often than the Notificaton panel, so having more widgets in that view (without having to scroll) is a big plus.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah, another widget freak! :) My current favorites are Magic Launcher, Today Remote, Tinycalc, and Agnda. That could change tomorrow, of course. But yes, the extra room for them is a plus.

iOS widgets, and for that matter the macOS Dashboard, remind me of the legendary Borland Sidekick. You may be too young...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I looked up 'Borland Sidekick', and it is 'sort of' before my time. Meaning I didn't own a DOS computer in the 80's. Instead I was using Commodors; the C64, C128, and eventually the Amiga. I breifly owned a Radio Shack Tandy sometime in the 90's. I don't rember why I bought it, and it mostly ended up gathering dust.

Here are my widgets. One of the reasons I like the new layout is that I can keep them to one page. At least all the ones I really use.

IMG_1994.PNG

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was just reading this thread and saw you calc widget. I downloaded it and am going to try it out. So far I already like it better than my "slide over" calc since my main go to calc app seems they will never support slide over. Thanks.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My calculator widget is simpler, but the buttons are actually large enough to tap reliably with fingers:

IMG_1625.PNG

FYI, Today Remote controls music playback from iTunes on my iMac via AirPlay to my hifi system, without having to launch the Remote app and wait for it to find the iMac again.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PCalc is one of the best reviewed calculator apps on iOS. (most of the bloggers I follow use it as well). The 'Lite' version can be upgraded to the full version with an in-app purchase (at about the same cost). I've done this, not because I actually needed all the extra bells and whistles, but because I don't want the developer to go out of business.

One of premium feautres (which I've yet to use) is the ability to customize the calculator's keys; so if you have functions you use a lot you can make sure that they are front and center on your calculator.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My calculator widget is simpler, but the buttons are actually large enough to tap reliably with fingers:

View attachment 75366

FYI, Today Remote controls music playback from iTunes on my iMac via AirPlay to my hifi system, without having to launch the Remote app and wait for it to find the iMac again.

PCalc's widget is somewhat customizable. Also, I'm using the 12.9" iPad Pro, so the buttons are big enough for me. Here is a simpler layout with bigger buttons; similar to your's but prettier. :)

Might more expensive though. I don't know if the customization is part of the paid upgrade.

IMG_1995.PNG

It also has a more compact view (switchabe on the Widget) in case you want it to use up less room.

IMG_1996.PNG

That said, extreme simplicity has it's own kind of elegance. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts