What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note Taking Apps

JustN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking for a great Note-taking app (like Evernote or OneNote) that supports WebDAV syncing on iOS devices AND has a fairly decent desktop client... I feel like I am simply out of luck.

Maybe I am a bit more paranoid than everyone else -- I just feel uncomfortable putting all of my "notes" in the "cloud". And, who needs the cloud, when I have centralized storage at home? My home router allows for VPN connections and I have a Netgear ReadyNAS for all of my devices to share.

I currently VPN in when I need documents from the road, why is it so hard to find an app that will take advantage of this setup?

JustN

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To answer your last question, because home NAS users are a niche market, and a heavily fragmented one with a dozen different mostly incompatible setups. Hard to find a developer who want to write for a market so small he can't make a profit.

That leaves you with developers who write it for their own use, and then distribute it for free as a good will gesture.

While it is far from ideal, you could use GoodReader. It does have a text editor for quick notes. It will import pictures that you take with the camera app, and you could do the same with an audio note app. It will connect to WebDAV, and allow you to store files there, though I don't think you can sync them automatically, you can upload/download entire folders at a time. No desktop client.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did a little research, out of curiosity. Notebooks for iPad might be worth your while to look at, though it is not the complete solution you are looking for.

Most reactions

Latest posts