What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noob questions about iPad 2

NotSoSavvy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
First, if this is not the place for these questions, please let me know.
I have a 32/wifi-only/iPad 2 (no previous iPad experience).
I have a iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4.

--It appears that the App store is laid-out completely differently for the iPad than for the iPhone. Why is that?
--Is there a way to easily navigate the App store (a la iPhone?)? It sure is a lot less "friendly". (i.e. games aren't sub-divided; etc.)
--Seems much more difficult to "find all", and then to sort by "free". Is there a tweak or something to make the App store more iPhony?
--In general, is the App store (concept) primarily designed for iPhone apps, but adapted for iPad? or vice-versa? ...or neither...both stores optimized for each platform?

--The iPad seems to charge very slowly compared to my iPhones. Is this to be expected?
--Does the battery required "conditioning"? (i.e. drain, charge, drain, charge, etc.)

--Is there a way to have the iPad recognize (and update) all my Apps to the HD iPad version (where applicable)?
--If I synch all my iThings to the same computer, will it keep the versions seperated?

--I have a new "N" router. My iPad lists my "normal" household wireless network, but also a "5-G" network? I've never seen the 5-G as and option before. Has the purchase of the iPad 2 somehow teleported me a few years into the future? What is this 5-G network, and will I create a mini-blackhole by using it?

--Are there a handfull of suggested "must have" apps? (preferably free?). (Google search = nothing useful)

Thanks in advance....I sure appreciate the insight.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm no expert. I have an iphone 3gs and original iPad. When I connected my iPad to my computer, it just recognized it as a new ipad, and asked me to name it. It put all my Iphone apps on my iPad, so you don't have to buy the apps twice. Just make sure your phone is up to date with your itunes acct on the computer.

As for the IPad apps, usually when searching you should see two sections, one for iphone and one for Ipad. Several of the apps are for iphones, since they have been out for a while, but they will work on the iPad, you just have to increase the size, there is a button that will do that. Also, the iPad apps cost more : (

There are a lot of free apps, just do a search for "free".

Hope this helps.

Nick Burns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our wireless-N router is dual-band: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Perhaps the 5-G you're seeing is really just the 5Ghz signal?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You comment on the iPad charging very slowly compared to your iPhone. Be sure only to use the specific iPad power adaptor to charge the iPad and not the iPhone unit.

The iPhone unit charges at only 500 mA whereas the iPad charger is 2 A - or four times as much. Although using the iPhone charger won't 'harm' the iPad, it does charge it very slowly. Yes, you can use the iPad charger to charge the iPhone - it won't damage it. The extra 'capacity' of the iPad charger just relates to its capability - it won't try to 'force feed' the iPhone....

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts