What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-3G iPad: using MiFi

UNheardof28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using mifi on a non 3G iPad? I heard something about it but I don't know how it works

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've used a mifi on my iPad.

It was a 3G Virgin Mobile mifi, bought at Best Buy for $150. The service for each month of Unlimited data was 40.00 flat. No other fees or taxes. Not bad for also being month to month/contract-free.

I returned it for a full refund before the end of the month, not because it didn't work(it worked beautifully), but because something better came along.

I bought a CLEAR iSpot for $20, and pay just 25.00/month flat, for Unlimited data at 4G speeds (5-7 Mbps on avg), allowing me to tether up to 8 devices at once.

An iSpot is basically a mifi with a different name. They're all personal portable routers, designed to provide wifi in a radius around it, just like the routers we use in our homes, schools, and work.. except these are smaller and are battery powered, usually lasting up to 4 hours between charges. You can also leave it plugged on an put let indefinitely, or plug it into your vehicle's 12v outlet for extended use or on long car trips.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It pretty much works the same as using a regular broadband router via DSL or Cable. Just that the mobile hotspot works on 3G.
So you just turn on your hotspot and then connect to the network it provides as if it were a regular router (it sort of is a router anyway).

bearswatchin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VirginMobile MiFi

I use a Virgin Mobile MiFi with my 16 gig, iPad-1 wifi only. Works fine, in fact, better than AT&T when in the boonies. (Sprint is the provider). My wife's iPhone loses all signal when deep in the heart of Texas.

I pay $20.00 a month for 1gig of data, when I elect to have the mifi active. Buying from WalMart. The device is slightly larger than a business card and about as thick as 2 quarters, stacked. Lasts 3-4 hours on a charge and came with a wall-wart and a cable to plug into a power port in the car.

Current price, online at WalMart is $129. (didn't notice where the original poster is located so, if this is not applicable, sorry.

regards,
J

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mi-Fi wireless router

Has anyone ever tried using mifi on a non 3G iPad? I heard something about it but I don't know how it works
It works like any hotspot. It's wi-fi.

I have a Verizon Mi-Fi ... 'tis my main internet interface ... I can connect up to 5 devices ... mixed brands (not just Apple, but PC, WII, etc.) ... data speeds are limited by EV-DO ... maybe 1.5 mb/sec ... not too slow. Connects within 30 feet max. Code protected, very secure. Can use in AirCard format hooked up via USB also (not on iPAD) ... keeps the battery charged. Battery will go for about 4 hrs, then needs recharage. I keep it connect to my Mac Mini, but can use any computer or device in the house...then the USB maintains the battery... more convenient.

Our iPAD2 wi-fi only hooks up immediately like... any hot spot. Slick. Costs $50/mo with 5GB cap. Typical Verizon plan. I am ending my second year of the plan. LTE is coming which is reportedly GSM, so I don't want to lock myself into a 3G iPAD. 4G is on the horizon... so we'll see.

We travel a lot, so we have our own hotspot ... it works. Hope that clarifies.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I use the Clear Ipspot also and, it works really well in my area. I can also tether it to my Mytouch 4g and use T-mobile's HSPA+ which is just as fast, if not faster at times.

The cool thing about the Clear Ispot is, it's unlimited. I've watched Netflix and streamed Nfl games with the Nfl sunday ticket app flawlessly.

whoopsy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad I saw this topic..we are trying to decide, 3G or wifi, and if wifi, which mifi service...so your opinions are very helpful.
I looked up the CLEAR iSpot and it says it is not available in the areas (by zip code) I inquired about...10001 and 92126. Their pricing has changed also...now they have it posted for the unit that gives you 4G & 3G, it is $225. and plans start at $55 per month. For the 4G only unit, it's $99 w/plans starting at $45 per month. ~Just sharing what I found~

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not have the ispot I find the clear spot to be more versatile. My husband can use it with his netbook and I can offer friend Internet when we are hanging out (suddenly I have sooooo many friends) I think it's nice to have an unrestricted device. The ispot is a pretty shade of white... And discounted... But, the regular one is just better.

I use clear for my home Internet and phone. It's better than dsl, but not true high speed Internet, I can watch YouTube and maybe a video now and then, but that's pushing the limit. I'm not a big tv or movie person, though... So this plan is perfect for me.

I was able to ditch my cell phone. I have my voicemail sent to email, or answer my VoIP line when at home. I make phone calls, don't laugh, from my iPad. The system works great and minimizes interruptions that distract me from my math.

Phone will be a thing of the past soon enough, I might pick up an iPod touch to make calls from while walking around the city. Still trying to decide if I really need it.

It felt so good to sell that blackberry on eBay. Buh by big phone bills and annoying ringing, bad web browsing ...

Cell free is the way to go!

Haulin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon mifi for me. I have one of the old plans that is unlimited. Being on the road a lot and streaming video I go over 5 gb so I plan on trying to hold on to the plan.

hoagiehogan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot get Virgin MiFi working on IPAD

For those of you who have gotten the Virgin Mobile MiFi to work on your IPAD - how do you get it from STOP asking your Virgin Mobile Account Name and Password every time you go to a web page? Is there a configuration either on the MiFi I need to setup or on the IPAD under that network?

For example, I type in Yahoo! in Safari. It automatically re-routes it to the virgin mobile website for me to enter in my Account Number and Password. Shouldn't it just ask me for a password when I join the MiFi?

Please help! Thanks!

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like virgin uses a different log in system. There isn't a way to change it. I had virgin for a year, and each time I went online I had to log in first.

agent86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does ipad 2 work with iSpot?

Hello, does ipad 2 work with clearwire iSpot?

I've used a mifi on my iPad.

It was a 3G Virgin Mobile mifi, bought at Best Buy for $150. The service for each month of Unlimited data was 40.00 flat. No other fees or taxes. Not bad for also being month to month/contract-free.

I returned it for a full refund before the end of the month, not because it didn't work(it worked beautifully), but because something better came along.

I bought a CLEAR iSpot for $20, and pay just 25.00/month flat, for Unlimited data at 4G speeds (5-7 Mbps on avg), allowing me to tether up to 8 devices at once.

An iSpot is basically a mifi with a different name. They're all personal portable routers, designed to provide wifi in a radius around it, just like the routers we use in our homes, schools, and work.. except these are smaller and are battery powered, usually lasting up to 4 hours between charges. You can also leave it plugged on an put let indefinitely, or plug it into your vehicle's 12v outlet for extended use or on long car trips.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:

This sounds good, sounds exciting. Is it contract free. I might have to get one.

Edit: did you pay 20 with rebate? The only ones I see are 100-200.
Unfortunately, they don't service my area yet. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

ipadtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:

This sounds good, sounds exciting. Is it contract free. I might have to get one.

Also want to know if it is contract free or not. More information about clear ispot will be good.

Most reactions