What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No WiFi, but nice iPad surprise

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to spend several hours in a doctor's office this morning so was prepared to wait with my iPad. Learned quickly they didn't have WiFi. While I couldn't get a browser, my apps were still loaded with previous content. For example, NYTimes and USA Today had the content from yesterday. Some content, like videos, required access, but I had enough to read for the whole morning. Chalk one up for the new iPad.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well at least you had something to occupy your time with. ;) Better then nothing.

dar512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Planning ahead is also good. There are lots of free books in the ibook store. Lots of cheap games for the iPad as well.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Taylork1 said:
I had to spend several hours in a doctor's office this morning so was prepared to wait with my iPad. Learned quickly they didn't have WiFi. While I couldn't get a browser, my apps were still loaded with previous content. For example, NYTimes and USA Today had the content from yesterday. Some content, like videos, required access, but I had enough to read for the whole morning. Chalk one up for the new iPad.

When I know I'm going to have waiting time I often just hit NYT, USA today, etc and let them load but not view before I go. Then I have something, plus books, to read. Nice.

Diane

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great!!! I was wondering about that. I put my lab results from the last year in a file and was wondering if I could access it at the doctor's without WiFi.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I confess, since I have an iPhone, that's what I use, and the 3G of course lets me surf. But sometimes I end up just playing word games anyway. If it's a real long wait, iPad is easier to read on though, so I'm with you all there.

nateccnn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ask your doctor for access to wifi. If enough people ask they may out in free wifi access. My dentist did. First visit I had nothing and asked, my next visit I had open wifi. Same thing at the tire store. It's a cheap way to keep customers happy.

Doctors may not care because we are kind of locked in to their service. But with tires and teeth, they know we have. Choice and may add more services to keep you locked in.

But as said above, when I know I am going to lose wifi I open Wall Street Journal and let it load before I leave the wifi. Then I have a couple hours worth of reading materials.

Nate

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alleygata said:
Great!!! I was wondering about that. I put my lab results from the last year in a file and was wondering if I could access it at the doctor's without WiFi.

Anything that doesn't have to be accessed via wifi, like the net, weather, updating or sending email, is available when offline. If you actually put your files in an app like Goodreader they are accessible any time. If you transferred via Dropbox from your computer you can make them accessible anytime by using "open with" or hit the star to make them availble offline from within the Dropbox app.

Diane

Most reactions