What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No flash - cant edit docuents - thread too long too short - arghhh -

jamboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me- I am finding iPad to be hard work - have sorted out flash and am now trying to do some thing very simple like edit my cv doc- I saved it to my to mail and downloaded documents and doc2 free apps- when I one this in it. Can't edit it for some obscure reason any ideas please

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please mind your language,this is a family forum,thank you.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone please help me- I am finding iPad to be hard work - have sorted out flash and am now trying to do some thing very simple like edit my cv doc- I saved it to my to mail and downloaded documents and doc2 free apps- when I one this in it. Can't edit it for some obscure reason any ideas please

What I have done with docs I needed to review and edit later was to upload it to either my Google Docs (via Google email) or SkyDrive (Hotmail email) and then opened and edited my changes using Cloudon. It is nice for simple/short documents. I have also used thebapp, Dropbox to view docs such as PDFs, word, PowerPoint and excel docs. Hope that helps.

OP
jamboji

jamboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course- thank u for pointing this out- I hadn't even realised I had- : )

OP
jamboji

jamboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there - thank you for your advice- I have tried google drive also and a number of apps- I can get it open it just won't go I to to to alter text- can only select all- I may be making a really fundamental schoolboy error - insult really dot get it- I love my iPad but sometimes can be frustrating- I realise its just a learning curve at adjusting to a new bit of tech- I consider myself pretty computer savvy and am supposed to be attaining my mum up in apple products which is a complete nightmare as she is a Moderator's edit: words which could be considered offensive have been removed. Please take care with your language and keep it respectful. You have been warned before dinosaur : ) am sure I will figure this out eventually- thanks once again - jambo :

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jamboji said:
Hi there - thank you for your advice- I have tried google drive also and a number of apps- I can get it open it just won't go I to to to alter text- can only select all- I may be making a really fundamental schoolboy error - insult really dot get it- I love my iPad but sometimes can be frustrating- I realise its just a learning curve at adjusting to a new bit of tech- I consider myself pretty computer savvy and am supposed to be attaining my mum up in apple products which is a complete nightmare as she is a Moderator's edit: words which could be considered offensive have been removed. Please take care with your language and keep it respectful. You have been warned before dinosaur : ) am sure I will figure this out eventually- thanks once again - jambo :

I can only share with you what I have used. That is with uploading via Google Doc or SkyDrive. Once there, I access those files on Cloudon. It is free from the AppStore and can be found here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloudon/id474025452?mt=8

Here are a few screenshots to show you what I can do to a doc that I have uploaded and began to edit.

image-842487517.jpg

You can also do a rename of the file or a number of things to the file using Cloudon. See below:

image-3861683432.jpg

image-3576123544.jpg

Maybe you should give Cloudon a try....or perhaps others with the use of the app you are using can chime in.

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
jamboji

jamboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks-I've downloaded cloud on - I agave my cv saved in my hotmail - how do I open this in cloud on I wonder as I saved it to sky drive? Thanks for your help - really appreciate it : )

OP
jamboji

jamboji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay great I have an old version in cloud on and editable - now to get the updated version In there which I have saved to sky drive and seem I exportable now- or I will do it old fashioned way and just rewrite the revisions - many thanks once again : )

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay great I have an old version in cloud on and editable - now to get the updated version In there which I have saved to sky drive and seem I exportable now- or I will do it old fashioned way and just rewrite the revisions - many thanks once again : )

Once you sign in on Cloudon to your SkyDrive account, your doc that you have uploaded through SkyDrive will show up. Just press the doc and it should open for you. So upload the most recent document you have and it should work.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd really love to know where you got the QWERTY keyboard. Please!!

That pulls up when using Cloudon. It must be a feature of the app in order to edit docs. ...pretty cool to see the arrows, eh? :)

Last edited:

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That pulls up when using Cloudon. It must be a feature of the app in order to edit docs. ...pretty cool to see the arrows, eh? :)

Yea it is.

I just downloaded Cloudon, read the user agreement and deleted the app. :(

I thought it might be a decent replacement for Office HD but I wasn't thrilled with the all the info they want.

Thanks

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea it is.

I just downloaded Cloudon, read the user agreement and deleted the app. :(

I thought it might be a decent replacement for Office HD but I wasn't thrilled with the all the info they want.

Thanks

No problem. I may look into office HD, also. If I do, I'll post back!

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem. I may look into office HD, also. If I do, I'll post back!

It's not bad. I use Word primarily and it seems to retain the original MS formatting better using MS DOC instead of MS DOCX files. Mostly shows up with bullet lists, etc.

Power Point is not as fancy as the MS original but does the job. Same with the Excel clone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I saved it to my to mail and downloaded documents and doc2 free apps- when I one this in it. Can't edit it for some obscure reason any ideas please

I have yet to hear of a free Office compatible app that works worth a darn.

If jamboji's CloudOn solution doesn't meet your needs, the other apps to look at for editing Office compatible apps worth looking at are.

iWorks apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote). Best for document creation on the iPad. Not so good if you're going to keep moving the document back and forth between different apps and computers.

Documents to Go
QuickOffice
Office HD
Polaris Office

The CloudOn (and OnLive) solutions are the only ones that offer near 100% compatibility with Office, since they are essentially Office run on remote servers. The other apps offer various degrees of compatibility and features; but unlike CloudOn they do not need an internet connection to edit your documents.

Most reactions

Latest posts