What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No airplay ?

lionman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I did the upgrade to 4.2 I am unable to see any airplay button when I am playing a music or video. Can someone give me an hint ?

Thanks !

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Although I did the upgrade to 4.2 I am unable to see any airplay button when I am playing a music or video. Can someone give me an hint ?

Thanks !

If you are using AppleTV, the iPad app needs to detect it before it will display the icon that allows you to select an AirPlay destination. This certainly happens if the ATV is on, and I think even when it is in Sleep mode, but I am still unsure about that myself.

Oh, and you must have AirPlay turned on, on the ATV device. When the button says "On" it's available, it doesn't means to press it to turn AirPay on.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed on the video front, most apps only output sound via AirPlay at the moment.

OP
L

lionman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks !

If you are using AppleTV, the iPad app needs to detect it before it will display the icon that allows you to select an AirPlay destination. This certainly happens if the ATV is on, and I think even when it is in Sleep mode, but I am still unsure about that myself.

Oh, and you must have AirPlay turned on, on the ATV device. When the button says "On" it's available, it doesn't means to press it to turn AirPay on.

Be prepared to be underwhelmed on the video front, most apps only output sound via AirPlay at the moment.

Thanks for the help.

That basically means that I can only airplay videos loaded via iTunes is my assumption correct ?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks !

Thanks for the help.

That basically means that I can only airplay videos loaded via iTunes is my assumption correct ?

I have no videos in iTunes at the moment but I believe that is correct.

What I (and I think many others) want I to be able to upload videos to the Photos app, which is the Camera Connection Kit puts them, and view them on Apple TV. Having to use iTunes to do this is just too much bother most of the time.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't you just LOVE those ambiguous switches. Would it have been THAT hard to instead have it say.... "Currently On" or "On (select to turn off)."

I sometimes wonder if ATV was outsourced to another company. Doesn't feel like Apple made the thing.

The interface, while it works, is not much more advanced than WebTV 2010.... without the web browser! lol

Rant over.

Michael

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't you just LOVE those ambiguous switches. Would it have been THAT hard to instead have it say.... "Currently On" or "On (select to turn off)."

I sometimes wonder if ATV was outsourced to another company. Doesn't feel like Apple made the thing.

The interface, while it works, is not much more advanced than WebTV 2010.... without the web browser! lol

Rant over.

Michael

Agreed, it actually added to the confusion when I was trying to figure this out.

I think that the simplest thing is a button that says "On/Off" with lamp next to it.

Most reactions

Latest posts