What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newsstand repeatedly reloading

hogesinwa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand Newsstand is a folder and that inside that folder are Apps offered by providers. I have issues with 2 of these, the Air France magazine and the UK's "Dive" magazine. In the case of Air France, the app installs and I then go to d/l an issue (there are many available for d/l). The problem is that if/when there is an interruption, or a time-out of any description, the issue restarts. Sometimes it gets to a particular point and then just sits. And I have to restart anyway. Doesn't matter what issue it is, the reload problem is common to them all.

The second issue is with Dive magazine. There are 2 issues available for free download. Both will download correctly. Each then says " Issue downloaded for offline viewing". However, when I disconnect from whatever connection I had, and try to read either/both, I get an error message that I can't read them because I am not connected to the internet. As soon as I connect, both issues are available i.e. I don't have to download them again, they are just there. If I disconnect, I can't get either of them.

Am I correct in my understanding that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the iPad or with Apple but that each of these issues is purely with the App provider?

I do also understand that both of these are Free, so I am not in a state of high dudgeon about not getting something that is being provided for nix anyway. However, it seems silly to me that somebody will go to the trouble of making these available, presumably to attract readers, then make them not work.

Input from the more knowledgeable would be appreciated.
Hoges in WA

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The problems you are describing do sound more like app problems than a generic Newsstand problem.

I'd go to the App Store and check out the reviews, to see if other's are complaining about the same issue (pun intended). Also go the the web and support site linked in the description to see if you can gather any more information, or at least air your problems with the developer.

If you would like to try another free newsstand app (one I've found fairly reliable) get the Engadget Distro magazine. The only problem I have is that if I close the app before the magazine is done downloading it usually ends up paused. This is because apps can only keep downloading for up to ten minutes after being closed (an iOS background tasking limitation), and my internet connection is a tad on the slow side.

Most reactions

Latest posts