What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newsreader feed

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I use "Reeder" (which syncs with Google reader) on my Ipad2 and when l surf the internet I come across sites which have an RSS feed.
I want to subscribe to a news feed,but i can't on the Ipad. I don't get the choice to choose my reader or even Google reader. I have to mail the internet link to my laptop where I do get the choice of Google reader subscription.
Any ideas or how dou you guys do it ?

Guy

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Visit the Google Reader site in Safari on the iPad and add use the + Subsciption button. You can eithe copy&paste the link from where ever you found it, or search for the site with key words.

Reeder should add the new RSS feed the next time it syncs.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used to use Reeder but have now switched to River of News. Just prefer it.

Adding subscriptions in a browser isn't as intuitive as Goog thinks. They really could do with updating their interface.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Adding subscriptions in a browser isn't as intuitive as Goog thinks. They really could do with updating their interface.

I'll have to check out River of News.

Adding feeds is a problem in any RSS reader that works by syncing with Google Reader. And yes, that can be a pain. It's often hard to find the actual RSS feed link on the source page making copy and paste painful, though if you can find the link that is the most reliable method.

Keyword searches sometimes work real well, and other times will throw up all kinds of garbage that may, or may not have the right feed listed. I suspect there is a place where sites register with Goggle for their RSS feeds, and those that do show up at the top of the search results for their sites. Or it could just be in the header for the site.

AppAdvice recently redid their site, and the RSS feed disappeared both from Google Reader and the site. I did all kinds of key word searches without any luck. After I sent AppAdvice a note, they said oops and put the RSS feed back up. It did not show up on the site page immediately, but suddenly searching for them with keywords no longer showed a list of possibles, they just got added automatically.

Some readers let you sync with Google Reader, and add feeds manually. As far as I know they don't add those feeds back to Google Reader though, so you end up with a mishmash of what you can read depending on what you are doing the reading with.

OP
Guy1717

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Visit the Google Reader site in Safari on the iPad and add use the + Subsciption button. You can eithe copy&paste the link from where ever you found it, or search for the site with key words.

Reeder should add the new RSS feed the next time it syncs.

Thanks a lot, it works, when you're used to work with Windows for the past 12 years, its an other way of thinking, l mean the "Apple way" of thinking :)
Guy

OP
Guy1717

Guy1717

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I love Reeder but i really dislike the look of "dirty paper" with the grey texting, it looks like there's dust under my ipad screen. I hope they change that or give us an option to change it
I tried Feeddler and The Early Edition
Feeddler crashes alot and The Early Edition doesn't sync with google reader on a daily basis

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, it works, when you're used to work with Windows for the past 12 years, its an other way of thinking, l mean the "Apple way" of thinking :)
Guy

You are welcome.

It's more like the iOS way. Though I understand that for many people iOS is their first and only Apple toy, so I guess I should get used to it being the Apple way. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts