What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie looking for help

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a carer for a young girl (9) who is ASD Vi (no useful vision) and has SLD.

After many months of battling VI services in the area for an iPad for her, with no results, I applied to a charity and got one!! An iPad 2, with external QWERTY keyboard (as I have taught her to touch type) and a griffin military case!! Very pleased to say the least!

My main reason for posting here is I am now looking to set it all up for her.

Does any one have any recommendations as to what I should enable/disable to make the iPad easy to use for her?

Also any recommendations on Apps for the blind? I mainly want to use it for some number work, audio books, audiotary games for when she is on 'free time,' and the ability to put on it videos or pages relating to her school work that she can access herself and listen to independently. I ideally want to be able to put text documents onto it, titled, so she can find them herself and get them read to in, in reference to school subjects and topics as well as putting her own IEP stuff onto it. Am I asking too much?

I know I'm asking a lot, but after fighting so hard to get her one, I really want to get the best from it.

Thanks

ASDVISLD

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I have been having a good look round and there really is some super stuff out there for special needs.

I, in an ideal world, also want to make an iPad choose board. Where I can load 4/5 icons on the screen and she can choose one and it link into the activity, name the page 'time to choose' and let her choose her own activities.

With enough research there must be a away!!

ASDVISLD

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASDVISLD said:
Thank you for the reply.

I have been having a good look round and there really is some super stuff out there for special needs.

I, in an ideal world, also want to make an iPad choose board. Where I can load 4/5 icons on the screen and she can choose one and it link into the activity, name the page 'time to choose' and let her choose her own activities.

With enough research there must be a away!!

ASDVISLD

I'm not sure I entirely understand the choose board but if it can be done then I'm certain that someone here will know......I would suggest posting in the Special Needs section as not everyone checks the new member intro's.

The Archangel

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When using PECS with ASD children, they have a choose board. So it will have pictures on it, say a computer/outside play area/inside play area/cars and they remove one picture and bring it to me. That is them choosing to do that activity.

As the child in question enjoys music, stories, rhyming stories, I was hoping there was a way I could list these on one screen and for her to scroll over them so they are read out, and then a double click to choose one and it hyperlink into the app or book and she can then play/listen to her choice.

Make sense?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASDVISLD said:
When using PECS with ASD children, they have a choose board. So it will have pictures on it, say a computer/outside play area/inside play area/cars and they remove one picture and bring it to me. That is them choosing to do that activity.

As the child in question enjoys music, stories, rhyming stories, I was hoping there was a way I could list these on one screen and for her to scroll over them so they are read out, and then a double click to choose one and it hyperlink into the app or book and she can then play/listen to her choice.

Make sense?

You could make a home screen with just the specific apps (it's easy to do and we can walk you through it) then the voice over guide I linked to earlier has details of how the iPad will read out the apps on that page as she touches them. Specific books might be more difficult, but if say, she opened iBooks using that method then the same process could be repeated to find the specific book.

The Archangel

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I just typed PECS into the App Store search and it came up with some useful looking apps (once you ignore the body building stuff lol!).

Does she use Braille? The iPad does work with Braille controllers.

The Archangel

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I did think about just making a folder on the home screen of things she can choose for her 'free time' at school so she can go in it using voice over and choose those apps in there. That might be simpler. Thanks.

I also was going to make folders for each day of the week in regards to her curriculum work, so I can put worksheets or videos in them the relate to the subject so that she can sit down herself, open Monday and start the day independently. Her parents can them see/share what she has done at school on the weekend.

So many ideas for her, just trial and error I guess.

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW, I just typed PECS into the App Store search and it came up with some useful looking apps (once you ignore the body building stuff lol!).

Does she use Braille? The iPad does work with Braille controllers.

The Archangel

She doesn't really use braille. She is not your typical tactile learner that you would get with a VI.

If it doesn't create an auditory response, she isn't really interested. Again the VI service have denied her an iPad for 18 months and there is no braille reader in sight either.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASDVISLD said:
Yeah I did think about just making a folder on the home screen of things she can choose for her 'free time' at school so she can go in it using voice over and choose those apps in there. That might be simpler. Thanks.

I also was going to make folders for each day of the week in regards to her curriculum work, so I can put worksheets or videos in them the relate to the subject so that she can sit down herself, open Monday and start the day independently. Her parents can them see/share what she has done at school on the weekend.

So many ideas for her, just trial and error I guess.

I'm not sure if that would work in the way that you think as iOS isn't file driven, all files reside in apps, so it can be achieved but from inside apps.....you just have to "think different" but once you get the hang of the non-file system it really is easy.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a recommendation to make it easier for others to help, might be helpful to spell out the diagnostic conditions this child may have versus PECS or IV. That way, others can readily get on and help as well.

Coming from the Medical Industry as well, there are many medical terms and abbreviations we use that are quite common to us but not to others. This might help in your search for help. :)

OP
A

ASDVISLD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But i can cluster apps together can't i? I did on an iPad before, I'm sure I did.

like this:

To create a folder:
1. Touch and hold an app icon until it starts wiggling.
2. While the icons are wiggling, drag one app on top of another app.
3. A folder will be created containing the two apps.
4. Rename the folder or touch the folder icon to keep the name suggested by Apple.
5. Press the home button to stop the icons from wiggling.
To add more apps to a folder:
2. While the icons are wiggling, drag one app onto the existing folder.
3. The app icon is moved to the folder.
4. Press the home button to stop the icons from wiggling.
When you touch a folder, all apps inside the folder are displayed and can be opened from the folder.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASDVISLD said:
But i can cluster apps together can't i? I did on an iPad before, I'm sure I did.

like this:

To create a folder:
2. While the icons are wiggling, drag one app on top of another app.
3. A folder will be created containing the two apps.
4. Rename the folder or touch the folder icon to keep the name suggested by Apple.
5. Press the home button to stop the icons from wiggling.
To add more apps to a folder:
2. While the icons are wiggling, drag one app onto the existing folder.
3. The app icon is moved to the folder.
4. Press the home button to stop the icons from wiggling.
When you touch a folder, all apps inside the folder are displayed and can be opened from the folder.

Yes, absolutely, you can put them in a folder or on their own home screen. If you know the basics of an iPad you are halfway there!

The Archangel

Most reactions