What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie iPad questions

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm getting a iPad 4 for Xmas and this will be my first experience with an iPad. Some are speculating that when the iPad 5 is released it will be a redesign similar to the iPad Mini where it's a lot lighter and thinner which I would be all for... from just playing with iPad 4 in Best Buy I wish it was lighter.

My plan would be to use the iPad 4 for now and then replace it with the iPad 5 if it is indeed made lighter so with that in mind which has the better resale value the 16GB or 32GB version?

If you used iTunes Match for music, Photo Stream for pictures, and limited games to say around 5, would a 16GB iPad allow you to download 50 apps or so?

Also my wife has a Nook Color and might be getting a iPad Mini for Xmas. She constantly reads books downloaded from BN so the Mini will give her the option of also buying from Amazon, Apple, Google etc. among doing other things. What I'd like to know is how will the experience of reading books on her Nook Color differ from using the Kindle app, iBook app, Google Play app (I know you can't directly buy books from within those apps) on a Mini?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMHO get the biggest iPad you can afford........
If you can swing the 64GB I would recommend it......once you get using the iPad they fill up fast.
Sure you can use the cloud but there is nothing like having everything with you when needed.
Th bigger the better the resale IMHO.

Nobody knows when or what the next iPad will be. It could be out in March but many think the new cycle will be Oct/Nov timeframe.
What it brings for changes is anyones guess....
I wouldn't wait for what might be, enjoy what we have available now! :thumbs:

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or the other way to see it is, the least you spend on the iPad 4, the less you lose on resale when upgrading to iPad5.

The way these things are going, the 5 will be out within the year. I'm using an 20 month old iPad 2 (32GB) and still have 10GB free. I think Apple have set the memory limits very cleverly pushing you to buy the 32GB, but $100 is very expensive for just 16GB extra memory!

If you use other devices for music and photos (and iPad is pretty poor at playing back music compared to any mp3 player, and pretty poor for editing photos so why would you store ALL your photos on iPad?), I reckon you can get by on 16GB very easily before iPad5 comes along.

Books and stuff hardly use much memory in comparison. As for playing games, I really wouldn't know.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or the other way to see it is, the least you spend on the iPad 4, the less you lose on resale when upgrading to iPad5.

I won't be getting an iPad 5 no matter what it brings............I have the iPad 4 and I will be set for several years.
Just to spendy to keep upgrading at the rate technology changes.
I won't fall into their trap of continually forking money for the latest and greatest. I expect the iPad 4 to be a viable product for many years.

Therefore the 64GB was absolutely the best way to go for me.

Last edited:
OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I've decided to do since I will only be using this around the house I'm going to get the 16GB WiFi and start installing the apps I want (have a list of 30 or 40) and just go from there to see how fast it fills up.

Since I'll have until Jan 24th to return to Best Buy I can surely get an idea if 16GB will be enough and if not then I'll take it back for a 32GB which is the most I can afford. Even if a 16GB WiFi might have a better resale value I definitely need to get the right one for me now in case I DON'T upgrade to a iPad 5 when it comes out.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How may years do u think I pad can last, I have a computer that is over 5 years old, can a iPad last that long or 2 years there limit?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How may years do u think I pad can last, I have a computer that is over 5 years old, can a iPad last that long or 2 years there limit?

The 1st iPad was released on April 3, 2010...........
Technology-wise it's dated but for average email, web surfing, etc it's still a viable device.

Still many of them in use.......

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's good to know, I know it will get outdated but if it keeps doing what I need all be happy...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
IMHO get the biggest iPad you can afford........
If you can swing the 64GB I would recommend it......once you get using the iPad they fill up fast.
Sure you can use the cloud but there is nothing like having everything with you when needed.
Th bigger the better the resale IMHO.

Nobody knows when or what the next iPad will be. It could be out in March but many think the new cycle will be Oct/Nov timeframe.
What it brings for changes is anyones guess....
I wouldn't wait for what might be, enjoy what we have available now! :thumbs:

Agreed!!! Even when buying computers. I learned the hard way on that one lol. Waiting with baited breath for new iMacs to start shipping.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rhardin said:
That's good to know, I know it will get outdated but if it keeps doing what I need all be happy...

They will all be outdated in about 5 minutes lol!!! I know there will probably be an iPad 5 by April. So, because they refresh so often, I decided to go ahead and get the current version as you will be waiting forever for the latest model and they seem to be updating them sooner and sooner. Didn't the 4 come out at approximately 6 months after 3???

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using iPF

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys since I already have a list of apps I will want to download once I get my iPad is there any reason why I can't go ahead and download them from iTunes on my computer now and then sync to my iPad when I get it?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mike2874 said:
Guys since I already have a list of apps I will want to download once I get my iPad is there any reason why I can't go ahead and download them from iTunes on my computer now and then sync to my iPad when I get it?

No reason at all. iTunes gives you full control of when and whether to install apps on your iDevices.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I downloaded 45 apps I don't suppose there's anyway without having an iPad hooked up to iTunes to tell how much space they used up?

I would also like the ability to print web pages, pdf's, etc. if I need to and I came across PrintCentral & Print n Share although I don't know how they differ or which would be better. My printer is connected via USB to my desktop computer and is available over WiFi on my home network... my printer is not supported by AirPrint. In researching I came across another option using FingerPrint which can be installed on your computer. So what is the best solution for printing from an iPad?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mike2874 said:
Thanks I downloaded 45 apps I don't suppose there's anyway without having an iPad hooked up to iTunes to tell how much space they used up?

I would also like the ability to print web pages, pdf's, etc. if I need to and I came across PrintCentral & Print n Share although I don't know how they differ or which would be better. My printer is connected via USB to my desktop computer and is available over WiFi on my home network... my printer is not supported by AirPrint. In researching I came across another option using FingerPrint which can be installed on your computer. So what is the best solution for printing from an iPad?

If you go to Settings>General>Usage, you will see the total amount of storage memory taken up by your apps. You also see how much each individual app is using.
Here's a screenshot from my iPhone to illustrate it.

image-1815936862.jpgIt will be shown with a slightly different layout on your iPad.

image-3783748924.jpg

image-142537173.jpgMovies are further broken down.

Last edited:
OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading about office apps and I'm more confused than ever there are so many. For a PC, iCloud, and Dropbox user what would you recommend to be able to view, edit, and create Word Doc's... it also might be nice to do the same with Excel?

This isn't for work just for home use need something easy to use and I am willing to pay for one.

Last edited:

Most reactions