What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newb tethered JB question?

fuzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I just got my iPad and its 4.2.1. If I use redsnow to JB it and it's the tethered JB what exactly does that mean?

I know if it turns off or restarts it has to be plugged in to reboot? Do I have to actually have it plugged into redsnow to reboot it then? I guess I am just not clear on how to reboot it once tehtered jb is done

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct. When you reboot you must use redsn0w and select the "just boot tethered now" option. That will allow the device to restart.

OP
F

fuzz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What would then be the correct sequence? Power off...plug into usb cable fireup redsnow?

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
use the exact same method as you would to jailbreak it. It walks you right through the process, just like when you first jailbroke it.

Nugzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I boot it up without using redsn0w, what happens? Is it just cydia and cydia apps I cant use? Or will I not be able to use any app/game ipa's that are installed?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I boot it up without using redsn0w, what happens? Is it just cydia and cydia apps I cant use? Or will I not be able to use any app/game ipa's that are installed?

Jb apps and Safari will not work but the iPad will boot UNTIL you install an app which requires mobilesubstrate. After that your device will not boot at all and you must boot tethered otherwise it will just hang at the apple logo.
As most significant os tweaks require mobilesubstrate will end up having to reboot tethered almost immediately, however after you have installed the usual suspects, reboots tend to be few and far between so its really not that bad.
I havent rebooted this year yet...

Most reactions