What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New study: iPad use might make children inarticulate

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
toddler-with-headphones-using-ipad1-570x380.jpg
Yesterday we expressed some concerns we had about kids being abandoned to technology. We admit giving your 4-year old an iPad to play with is a good way to shut him/her up for a while, but parents should also take into consideration the potentially harmful effects of long term exposure.

A new study released by the Institute of Psychiatry at King’s College London found that children who engage in lots of activities involving text messages, emails or other forms of online entertainment perform lower than average when it comes to learning new vocabulary words. The reality is that as children tend to spend more time interacting with gadgets, playing games and whatnot,​​they are distancing themselves from books and reading.

Long gone are the days when children used to hide under the blanket with a flashlight to read. Now it’s all about swinging the iPad. The study also mentioned that the voice of a parent or teacher is essential to the child’s learning process. After all, this is how toddlers learn how to speak, they listen to their moms and dads and imitate the speech pattern.

But when your child is curled up with his/her iPad most of the time and you’re reading the news section on the iPhone, there’s no wonder the kid will experience difficulties with speech.

We’re not saying that the iPad isn’t a wonderful piece of technology, but we can’t help but wonder if devices such as these are making us lazy. Too lazy to get out of bed, too lazy to meet up with a friend (when you could be on the Internet) and eventually too lazy to entertain our own children. We should stop for a moment and weight out the consequences.

Source: The Independent

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing this Radu. It shows that everything must be in balance. Moderation in all things is the key.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I appreciate the efforts of our news team!

However, given the topic of the original article, I'm wondering why the it specifically mentions the iPad/iPhone and not mobile devices in general. How is "being curled up with an iPad" any more detrimental to a child's development than being curled up with any other tablet or mobile phone?

The original article just seem to me to be a failed attempt at influencing the sales of Apple devices.

Just my $0.02

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We needed a study to find this out? Seems common sense...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I offered my brother tablets for both of his young kids and he said no thanks, because there will be plenty of chances to learn tech later. He wants them to learn foundation skills first, without too much screen time. Even with educational videos, the kids get limited exposure.

Thanks to their upbringing, they are both good readers, even at 3 and 4. We drove to the airport and the 3-year-old read "international airport" off the sign, lol.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

However, given the topic of the original article, I'm wondering why the it specifically mentions the iPad/iPhone and not mobile devices in general. How is "being curled up with an iPad" any more detrimental to a child's development than being curled up with any other tablet or mobile phone?

The original article just seem to me to be a failed attempt at influencing the sales of Apple devices.

Just my $0.02

Apple does have a larger chunk of the tablet market so that's probably why they get named. When people think tablets, they usually think iPad. I sure do. If one article affected sales of a certain device, the apple haters would be writing them all the time. I doubt it'll mean much. ;)

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad can cause laziness and slows down development of child?!

That is just bad statistics! My 3 YEAR OLD sister managed to read now, and learn how to use modern technology because of an iPad! The problem os that the parents lets the child play games for toddlers! Its not the iPad's fault, its the parents fault!

iPad was never ment to be used for gaming, it was created in hopes to improve productivity by providing utilities and productivity apps. If the parents are to blame the iPad they should all burn, its there responsibilty to guide there child and restrict games and other apps that does not give any good moral or any good values at all.

I am sure many of you may disagree with me, but im not suprised. People this days.......

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes gadgets do make kids go nuts and I am a prompt believer that kids should refrain from gadgets until they are 10 years or older.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Just my $0.02

Most certainly, a valid point.

It is not just tablets and phones, but TV, X-Box and the home PC. We are becoming lazy, but that is not the kid's fault. The media has us looking for bad people around every corner. We cannot let the little monsters be little monsters at Halloween, and the like.

We can no longer let the little ones be kids because they might fall off the swing and get a boo boo.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Y'all did notice the big "MIGHT" in there, right? This is far from proven. The only reason it gets published is to get reactions from people.

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is that parents do not take responsibilities for there actions. There are restrictions that does not allow some stuff for our child to do. They must limit it. I am amazed by the stupidity if these. Blaming tablets and phones. That is why there is something called restrictions no?

~The Reaper of Souls

Brontesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kids remains unaware with the major effects they are going to face by using these high rise technologies but it is the responsibly of the elders to instill in them the pros and cons of the technology so they may get well the difference about how to go safe with the tech trends ..

Victor Ruidera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kids remains unaware with the major effects they are going to face by using these high rise technologies but it is the responsibly of the elders to instill in them the pros and cons of the technology so they may get well the difference about how to go safe with the tech trends ..

Exactly. It is still up to the parents to restrict the child. They can't blame the gadgets. Have they ever heard about restrictions?

Also, I think I can answer the question: "Why did he or she not include the android, Microsoft, and other tablets as the reason why children can get lazy?".

The Answer: Its because there are games in the App Store not found on other stores. A great example is Infinity Blade. There are also apps too not found in the App Store.

I guess this is what the haters are talking about? Why the iPad ONLY has the risk of causing laziness......

~The Reaper of Souls

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Exactly. It is still up to the parents to restrict the child. They can't blame the gadgets. Have they ever heard about restrictions?

Also, I think I can answer the question: "Why did he or she not include the android, Microsoft, and other tablets as the reason why children can get lazy?".

The Answer: Its because there are games in the App Store not found on other stores. A great example is Infinity Blade. There are also apps too not found in the App Store.

I guess this is what the haters are talking about? Why the iPad ONLY has the risk of causing laziness......

~The Reaper of Souls

In a perfect world it's true regarding parental restrictions. But, if you've just had a long rough day at work and you want to just relax, you are more apt to let the kid stay on their device because its keeping them occupied. Yeah, I said it. Call it in house babysitting if you want but people without kids have NO idea what's involved so I hope everyone replying here does have kids. If not, you are out of your league. You'll know what we mean someday if you do have kids.

We do our best to keep the kids busy with other things but there are times when we simply need a break. So, if their iPad keeps them busy and quiet.. So be it!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ease up everybody--this is just an article that has been posted. Take it or leave it, but please stop making it more then it is!

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Most reactions