What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New storage option: G-Technology G-Connect Wireless Storage for iPad (500GB WIFI)

gdspd8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using Seagate GoFlex Satellite which is the same as G-Connect. A smaller size hard disk which can stream audio, video and photo wireless to my new iPad.
It had internet pass through.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gdspd8 said:
I'm using Seagate GoFlex Satellite which is the same as G-Connect. A smaller size hard disk which can stream audio, video and photo wireless to my new iPad.
It had internet pass through.

The Internet pass through is a new feature that the seagate didnt have when I had it. Sounds like a good feature.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
The Internet pass through is a new feature that the seagate didnt have when I had it. Sounds like a good feature.

I have to GoFlex Satellite and it works very well. Internet pass through? Yes. Very good feature.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you save files from iPad apps to the goflex?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Can you save files from iPad apps to the goflex?

Yes. It is the first device that I've been able to plug into my PC and copy drop into the drive's files. From PC to the drive's files you can see the files you are moving and you can see the files that are on the drive. From the GoFlex to the iPad, running the GoFlex app you can see all the files that are on the GoFlex under each directory. If the file is something the iPad recognizes, the iPad will be able to view and save it. I have done this with PDF files. I haven't tried it with Word docs yet.

If you install the Seagate mobile link app on your PC, it will automatically search your files that are iPad compatible. Interestingly I had bought a 15 minute short movie that was in my iTunes files and that program transferred it to the GoFlex but I couldn't see it on the iPad. I installed the Buzz Player HD app in my iPad and that app found the GoFlex and the file, and I was able to view it on the iPad. My next step is rip a DVD using the software that came with my PC and then transferring to the GoFlex and see if that works. I'll keep you posted.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Matt,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if I understand what you have said. What I am wanting to know...is if I have a PDF file on my iPad, say in Goodreader, can I save that file to the GoFlex drive? I know I can read from the Goflex if the iPad knows the type of file it is, but I want to take a file I create in Pages, Keynote, Numbers, or GoodReader and save to the GoFlex. Then take they go GoFlex, plug it into a laptop or PC, and use it there.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Matt,

Thanks for the response. I am not sure if I understand what you have said. What I am wanting to know...is if I have a PDF file on my iPad, say in Goodreader, can I save that file to the GoFlex drive? I know I can read from the Goflex if the iPad knows the type of file it is, but I want to take a file I create in Pages, Keynote, Numbers, or GoodReader and save to the GoFlex. Then take they go GoFlex, plug it into a laptop or PC, and use it there.

Hi AQ_OC, I got home and tried to load the PDF file I've been working on the iPad but my iPad could not fin the GoFlex Hard Drive. I have plenty of ability to save a file from the GoFlex into my iPad that is pretty easy, but going the other way, nope. I hope someone else with more experience on the GoFlex and chime in if they know how I can go from iPad to GoFlex.

Thanks for asking me this question AQ...I now have a work around, I can do my document work on my iPad, save it into GoodReader or iCloud, pull the file into my laptop work on it from my laptop, sync my GoFlex to the PC and then access back on my iPad via GoFlex. That seems to be quite a lot of steps. So in cases where I have data files like a PDF or a word.doc or a spreadsheet, I'll bypass the GoFlex and use my cloud based resources. But for media files like movies, tv shows and music--I'll use my GoFlex. Those are the big memory storage hogs anyway.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
Hi AQ_OC, I got home and tried to load the PDF file I've been working on the iPad but my iPad could not fin the GoFlex Hard Drive. I have plenty of ability to save a file from the GoFlex into my iPad that is pretty easy, but going the other way, nope. I hope someone else with more experience on the GoFlex and chime in if they know how I can go from iPad to GoFlex.

Thanks for asking me this question AQ...I now have a work around, I can do my document work on my iPad, save it into GoodReader or iCloud, pull the file into my laptop work on it from my laptop, sync my GoFlex to the PC and then access back on my iPad via GoFlex. That seems to be quite a lot of steps. So in cases where I have data files like a PDF or a word.doc or a spreadsheet, I'll bypass the GoFlex and use my cloud based resources. But for media files like movies, tv shows and music--I'll use my GoFlex. Those are the big memory storage hogs anyway.

Thanks for taking the time to investigate the issue. Just need to make sure I understand what each product has to offer. There are pros and cons to each. Still, it is great to have all of these options to consider.

donaldf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be stupid but I've been there before. Can I store on it from my Mac and stream it to my new iPad. My Mac is an old Tiger( iTunes 9.2.1."

Most reactions

Latest posts