What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Review Finds Fault With iPad Mini

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

AppleInsider writes today about an in-depth examination of Apple’s new iPad mini by DisplayMate, which finds plenty of faults, and compares it unfavourably with its main rivals such as the Google Nexus 7 and Amazon Kindle Fire HD. The test used lab measurements and various viewing tests featuring test patterns and images, which were used to evaluate the various tablets’ screen reflectivity, brightness and contrast, colours and intensities, viewing angles, display backlight power consumption and running time. DisplayMate’s Dr. Raymond Soneira said that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD performed better than the iPad mini in sharpness tests, adding that they “both delivered considerably sharper text.†The iPad mini’s color gamut and screen reflectance also failed to impress, with Soneira noting that by backtracking to older LCD technology, Apple is making a big step back from the 100% color gamut of the third-gen iPad and the iPhone 5. Possibly most significantly though, the tests found that the iPad mini reflected 53% more ambient light than the Nexus 7 and 41% more ambient light than the Kindle Fire, which is a bit of a disappointment with the smaller tablet being so much more portable than the full-sized iPad. It’s not all bad news though, as AppleInsider also notes that the iPad mini still had high picture quality and accurate color reproduction. Soneira also went on to say that it is “certainly a very capable small Tablet, but it does not follow in Apple’s tradition of providing the best display, or at least a great display - it just has a very capable display.â€

Source: iPad mini display found to be 'just very capable,' outperformed by rivals
iPad mini Display Technology Shoot-Out

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you ask me, this kind of thing is the result of the "race to the bottom" now going on in the tablet space. If that didn't exist, then Apple would have waited until they could develop a version of this device that met all of their design goals, including a retina screen. Remember, it is unlike that Apple will introduce a new resolution for mini, thus a retina display will have a 2048 by 1536 pixel display, which would be 326 ppi. I don't think they can deliver this now with the same characteristics as the current mini: 10+ hour battery life, 0.68/0.69 weight, and super thin and cool running, all on top of this level of retina screen, with the ability to run 275000+ apps.

I would love to hear arguments as to why others seem so convinced they can do this now.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If you ask me, this kind of thing is the result of the "race to the bottom" now going on in the tablet space. If that didn't exist, then Apple would have waited until they could develop a version of this device that met all of their design goals, including a retina screen. Remember, it is unlike that Apple will introduce a new resolution for mini, thus a retina display will have a 2048 by 1536 pixel display, which would be 326 ppi. I don't think they can deliver this now with the same characteristics as the current mini: 10+ hour battery life, 0.68/0.69 weight, and super thin and cool running, all on top of this level of retina screen, with the ability to run 275000+ apps.

I would love to hear arguments as to why others seem so convinced they can do this now.

It would be tough but they could work it in somehow. Maybe a slight sacrifice of battery life and a tad more weight would work? I know the portability is huge with the mini but a few grams here and there can't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong? How about $349 with a retina display and 9 hours of battery life? Ya never know.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It would be tough but they could work it in somehow. Maybe a slight sacrifice of battery life and a tad more weight would work? I know the portability is huge with the mini but a few grams here and there can't be that bad. Maybe I'm wrong? How about $349 with a retina display and 9 hours of battery life? Ya never know.

You do realize that a retina display at 326 ppi in 7.9 inches has not be developed before, and certainly not to the standards of an Apple display. Expecting to get that by competing with companies that are trying to steal the tablet market by selling devices at no profit? Why bother? Here is little incentive to develop top tier products if you are not going to make a profit. Would you do that?

I say to people who want rock bottom prices you just buy those devices that are being offered at rock bottom prices. That's why competition is a good thing...until it is not.

I don't want it to weigh a gram more than it weigh. I tend to case my toys...so the real weight is the weight inside a case. A gram here and there and all of a sudden the advantages of the device are gone.

Apple is a master at what they do (build mobile devices). Google and Amazon are not. Google is stealing the market away from the very companies that are developing for it. That is a sad thing.

Frankly, I'd pay full price for a retina iPad mini that weighs the same as this mini, gets the same battery life, same components, albeit with a more recent processor, and has the same thermal characteristics. It would be worth it and few would buy the 9.7-inch iPad.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
You do realize that a retina display at 326 ppi in 7.9 inches has not be developed before, and certainly not to the standards of an Apple display. Expecting to get that by competing with companies that are trying to steal the tablet market by selling devices at no profit? Why bother? Here is little incentive to develop top tier products if you are not going to make a profit. Would you do that?

I say to people who want rock bottom prices you just buy those devices that are being offered at rock bottom prices. That's why competition is a good thing...until it is not.

I don't want it to weigh a gram more than it weigh. I tend to case my toys...so the real weight is the weight inside a case. A gram here and there and all of a sudden the advantages of the device are gone.

Apple is a master at what they do (build mobile devices). Google and Amazon are not. Google is stealing the market away from the very companies that are developing for it. That is a sad thing.

Frankly, I'd pay full price for a retina iPad mini that weighs the same as this mini, gets the same battery life, same components, albeit with a more recent processor, and has the same thermal characteristics. It would be worth it and few would buy the 9.7-inch iPad.

I didn't realize they didn't have the screen ready at this point. Figured they have these displays on iPods and iPods so why not the mini?

I think the competition from google and amazon, or whomever else, is a good thing for us. Keeps apple on its toes. I understand the google comment though, well see how that plays out. Amazon will do their thing as well with the kindle. It's really a decent device and shouldn't be viewed as lower end junk or anything like that.

The mini just felt a little premature, that's all. It's selling well and that's the important thing for apple. Once they get the next gen unit all speced out, it'll be even better than the current mini.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Competition means hardware makers can make diff types of hardware for diff customers. Maybe not everyone wants a "top tier" tablet. Rolls-Royce can make its high-end product, but shouldn't preclude other carmakers from making products for other customers. It shouldn't be a case of, oh if you can't afford Apple, or just don't want to spend that much, too bad for you. Tech should be available at diff levels, accessible to as many people as possible. If Apple or any other hardware maker can't figure out how to survive, too bad.

Most reactions