What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member...Xoom convert

ckmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...finally made the jump over to the IPad. Had purchased the Xoom last year at this time. I am really liking the ipad 3. Just much more refined, snappier, brighter screen and no typing lag. One of the big surprises for me is the
Fact that the ipad3 does a great job with Internet browsing. I really thought that since the Xoom had flash...Internet viewing on iPad3 would not be as good. But so far..I have only come across one site where I could not play videos due to flash. Anyway..great site!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--Glad that you made the jump over to the Apple Side. I did the same about a year ago and am very happy.

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.http://www.ipadforums.net/regional-ipad-groups/
http://www.ipadforums.net/regional-ipad-groups/

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5/id470308101?mt=11
http://itunes.apple.com/sg/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5.1/id509611900?mt=11

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

OP
C

ckmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One quick question....how do I close programs/apps? do Ii even need to? When I do the four finger swipe...it show the other apps still open....any thoughts? Thanks

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you use do the 4 or 5 finger pinch-that will close out the app that you were just in and bring you back to the HOME Screen.

Swiping up will reveal the Multitask bar.

Swiping left or right will get you between apps that you have visited.

To turn off or quit apps--you can swipe upward to reveal your multi-taslk bar and quit the apps there by long pressing an app until it shows the red circle. Press that and it will quit the app.

OP
C

ckmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks....I did your close app trick and when I 4 finger swipe it still swipes to the app although I closed it. Just trying to be aware if I am running too much at once....I.e. does the iPad manage apps so as to optimize ram usage?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the iPad 2 and the new it does. For the original iPad, it had half of the RAM, so after IOS 5 came out-many users had to keep closing apps down to prevent the system from overload and crashing.

When I close or quit my apps, sometimes I can still visit the last page of the app I just closed. However, trying to use that app again will make the app restart. Hope that makes sense.

texasez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also new to the ipad from the xoom. The ipad is my first Apple device of any kind. The jury is still out for me to which operating system I like best. Apple has the best selection of apps and gets them first but Android has better free ones and works better with MS office. I am not a fan of the Apple closed system and mostly don't like Itunes much. It is a pain to get info from apple to pc and much easier with android. If the ipad had a micro sd slot it would be much easier to use.
It is also hard for a noobie like me to find the back button on all the apps. It seems it sometime is hidden and you have to tap in the right place to get it to show. The dedicated back button is much simpler. I will get use to the ipad and learn how to use it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HI Texas--yes, give it some time. You will find the style changes of Apple easier once you get the hang of it.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also new to the ipad from the xoom. The ipad is my first Apple device of any kind. The jury is still out for me to which operating system I like best. Apple has the best selection of apps and gets them first but Android has better free ones and works better with MS office. I am not a fan of the Apple closed system and mostly don't like Itunes much. It is a pain to get info from apple to pc and much easier with android. If the ipad had a micro sd slot it would be much easier to use.
It is also hard for a noobie like me to find the back button on all the apps. It seems it sometime is hidden and you have to tap in the right place to get it to show. The dedicated back button is much simpler. I will get use to the ipad and learn how to use it.

Give it time. Rumor has it that Microsoft is still working on a full office program for the iPad.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
Give it time. Rumor has it that Microsoft is still working on a full office program for the iPad.

It's been a rumor for a while now. I wonder if we'll ever see it. My guess is that even if such a thing is in the works, MS will probably hold on to it, and release it only for Windows 8 tablets. This could be the kind of "killer app" that Windows 8 will need in order to compete in an already established market, especially if, dare I say it, MS Office Mobile comes bundled with higher end Windows tablets.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's been a rumor for a while now. I wonder if we'll ever see it. My guess is that even if such a thing is in the works, MS will probably hold on to it, and release it only for Windows 8 tablets. This could be the kind of "killer app" that Windows 8 will need in order to compete in an already established market, especially if, dare I say it, MS Office Mobile comes bundled with higher end Windows tablets.

I fear you may be right. I was hoping to see it unveiled with the new iPad like they did back in the day when it was released for Mac. No such luck.

OP
C

ckmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses...very happy with the move over to iPad 3. Though I did like the android operating system...device and os are just not as fluid and as glitch free as this..(granted...I just got iPad 3days ago)..

christm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ckmerc said:
Well...finally made the jump over to the IPad. Had purchased the Xoom last year at this time. I am really liking the ipad 3. Just much more refined, snappier, brighter screen and no typing lag. One of the big surprises for me is the
Fact that the ipad3 does a great job with Internet browsing. I really thought that since the Xoom had flash...Internet viewing on iPad3 would not be as good. But so far..I have only come across one site where I could not play videos due to flash. Anyway..great site!

I did the same. I just jumped over from the Xoom.

OP
C

ckmerc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Christm ..what do you think so far? I just got sick of waiting for ice cream sandwich to come along and remedy the glitches...

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ckmerc said:
Christm ..what do you think so far? I just got sick of waiting for ice cream sandwich to come along and remedy the glitches...

The new galaxy tab 2 7inch has the new ice cream sandwich.

Most reactions

Latest posts