What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Member - Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just registered! I am looking forward to reading all the "threads" already posted by all of you. I know that some of the questions/concerns I have may already be there. For what I see so far, I believe I am going to benefit A LOT from all of you. Thank you! I am having some issues with my new iPad2, which I think I may have created. I downloaded several applications, which when I try to use, remain open for a few seconds and then close....

Happy to be part of this group!!!! Bebita.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Bebita. Welcome to the forum.

The usual cure when apps start quiting by themselves is a Restart. Give it a try.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Twerppoet and Tim,

Thank you for replying so fast! Let me tell you, during the past days my iPad has been my best companion. We have no electricity since Sunday, 5 days already, when we were hit by Hurricane Irene. I take my iPad to work, charge it, and bring it home fully charged to keep me company. Hurricane Irene caused a lot of damages to the island because of the heavy rains, flooding, landslides, etc. I just hope that the electricity problems get resolved by tomorrow. Thank you for your advice to restart the iPad. I will try it.

Take care,

Bebita

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Bebita - welcome to the forum - :)

Hope that the 'restart' will solve your problem - a quick & easy step that I've often used - :D

Good luck w/ Hurricane Irene - I live in Piedmont North Carolina and I suspect that we will get a coastal hit from this storm.

OP
Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Twerppoet.

Giradman - Be safe. Hope Irene stays away from your area.

Bebita

OP
Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I chose my Avatar. Is the "Coquí". I thought you would like to know about the Coquí. Here is some information:

The Puerto Rican coquí is a very small - tiny - tree frog about one inch long. Some coquíes look green, some brown and some yellowish - actually they are translucent. Coquíes have a high pitched sound and can be heard from far away. The coquíes begin to sing when the sun goes down at dusk. Their melody serenades islanders to sleep. Coquíes sing all night long until dawn when they stop singing and head for the nest. Puerto Ricans love their coquíes and have written poems, stories, and Aguinaldos about them. During the time of the Taíno Indians trillions of coquíes serenated our ancestral home. Many Taíno Indian myths surround the coquí. Coquíes are found in much of the Taíno art like pictographs and pottery. In Puerto Rico all coquíes are called coquí even though not all sing ''co-quí''. Only two of the species the ''Coquí ComÃÂșn'' and the ''Coquí de la Montaña or Coquí Puertorriqueño'' actually sing ''co-quí''. Puerto Rican coquíes have relatives all over Latin America. The coquí genre is found in all the Caribbean Islands, and in Central and South America. But again, the only ones that make the sound ''co-quí'' are Puerto Rican. The scientific name for the coquí is Eleu-thero-dactylus, characterized because they have no webbed toes. There are 16 different species in Puerto Rico and all of them have padded discs at the end of their toes which helps them climb. Coquíes are classified as amphibians - a grouping for cold blooded vertebrates that includes frogs, toads, or newts -that are able to live in both water and land. Contrary to frogs, the coquíes do not go through a tadpole stage and break out of their egg - a small replica of their parents. Some coquíes are terrestrial some are arboreal. The Coquí Dorado is the only specie in the world that bears live young. The male coquí sings - not the female. That means that in Puerto Rico we hear only half the coquíes singing. The male coquí watches over the eggs. The eggs hatch in 28 days and the young coquíes remain in the nest for an additional 5 days. Again the male coquí watches over them until they leave the nest. When there is more light either from the moon or from street lights, there are less coquíes to be heard. Therefore there are more coquíes in isolated areas like the mountains. The specie ''Puerto Rican coquí'' sings co-quí, co-quí, co-quí at dusk and changes to co-quí-quí-quí, co-quí-quí-quí, co-quí-quí-quí, at dawn. It is arboreal - climbing to the top of trees in search of insects. There it remains until dawn when it changes its song and jumps down nesting until the evening.

Take care,

Bebita.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Bebita - I'm LOL :D

Wife & I love that little tree frog - we've been to PR twice and love their sound at night - but they can fall out of the trees onto yourself as I remember, but still cute!

Concerning Irene, could be a little wicked along our USA east coast - in Piedmont NC we're about 250 miles inland so I suspect that we will get some winds & rain but hopefully not much else! :)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!! Cute frog and interesting reading too. I've heard that hurricane Irene is hitting New York now. Hope you get your power back sometime soon. But at least you have your iPad to enjoy.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.... I've heard that hurricane Irene is hitting New York now. Hope you get your power back sometime soon. But at least you have your iPad to enjoy.

Saturday morning here - Irene made landfall at Cape Lookout, which is on a North Carolina barrier island (has a lighthouse w/ black-white diamonds & you need to get there by boat; image below) - downgraded to a Category 1 hurricane, so damage should be mainly wind & flooding - however, it will be heading up the East Coast toward NYC - my MIL/BIL are in a house on the tip of Long Island (Montauk) - so we are hoping for their safety and of course that of many others - :(

capelookout10_2006.jpg

OP
Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Por fin! Power was restored in my area. I am now watching the news and seeing how Irene is affecting other areas. It is now down to Cat 1. Hopefully it will continue to weak and do no harm.

I am enjoying my iPad2. It is great!

Bebita.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
giradman said:
Saturday morning here - Irene made landfall at Cape Lookout, which is on a North Carolina barrier island (has a lighthouse w/ black-white diamonds & you need to get there by boat; image below) - downgraded to a Category 1 hurricane, so damage should be mainly wind & flooding - however, it will be heading up the East Coast toward NYC - my MIL/BIL are in a house on the tip of Long Island (Montauk) - so we are hoping for their safety and of course that of many others - :(

Yes I'm watching it develop on TV as I'm writing this. There's been a lot of flooding already. I hope you're MIL/BIL are fine. I'm hearing there has already been fatalities elsewhere. Mother Nature can sure pack a punch. Keep safe everyone.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I'm watching it develop on TV as I'm writing this. There's been a lot of flooding already. I hope you're MIL/BIL are fine. I'm hearing there has already been fatalities elsewhere. Mother Nature can sure pack a punch. Keep safe everyone.

Well, now Sunday morning and about to read the NY Times - hurricane is making land fall again near Coney Island in the NYC area and crossing Long Island, but has been downgraded to a tropical storm - my in-laws should be fine (only wind damage is an issue) - wife will call them later this afternoon.

The East Coast did get hit - millions w/o power, trees/branches down, flooding, and other damage; about a half dozen deaths. Cleanup will be costly. In North Carolina, seems that the barrier islands and coastal cities were mainly affected; several wooden piers down/damaged. A favorite place for us to visit is Wrightsville Beach near Wilmington - their 1930s wooden fishing pier (called the Johnny Mercer pier) was completely destroyed in the mid-1990s from two hurricanes - replaced w/ a concrete structure (pic below) which should hold up to much worst! We'll me making our seasonal fall visit probably in a month or two when the summer crowd is gone and the weather more temperate. :)

jmpier_from_water3.JPG

OP
Bebita

Bebita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching the news right now. Thanks God Irene has been decreasing her power, otherwise the damages would be horrible. No one wants to experience categories 2-5 hurricanes. These bring total destruction.

Love that lighthouse!! I will have to visit North Carolina.

From now on, my emergency preparedness kit will include my iPad2. Couldn't have made it without it during the almost seven days without electricity.

BE SAFE EVERYONE. Bebita.

Most reactions

Latest posts