What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member and sending email in Alaska

Algreenwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got an IPad for my trip to Alaska and it has been great except for one problem: when I am using wi fi in a residential location getting Internet through dsl from acs, the local Fairbanks telephone system I can do everything except send emails. To send emails I need to go to a location with non dsl Internet such as the univ of Alaska. Luckily this is close to my Fairbanks location.

I don't have problems with sending emails from dsl systems in Washington State or cable in Portland.

Is there a work around?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using SMTP with SSL in your email settings? (You can check by seeing what the port number is - if it's 25 then you're not using SSL, if it's 465 or 995 then it's SSL). Several service providers will only allow email from 'unknown' locations if it's SSL because basic SMTP has no login, thus you could send email purporting to be anyone you liked to imagine.

So a switch to SSL might fix this problem. I find it easier to set up a new account with the POP or IMAP settings for incoming mail as before, but with the SMTP with SSL as the new outgoing setting. Once you've got this working, you can delete the older account entry. SSL will work from everywhere.

Tim

OP
A

Algreenwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim, thanks for the prompt response! Unfortunately I have no idea how to do what you suggested even though I can understand very broad concept of your suggestion. Any suggestions for the technically limited?

Al

Most reactions