What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MacBook Air On the Way

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I admit it, I’m weak against new Apple products.

Right after the Apple Event I ordered the new, basic model MacBook Air. I’ve been thinking I want a Mac back in my tool bag for a while, but have been waiting to see what the new Apple Silicon generation would offer.

So, it’s not like it’s completely an impulse buy. More like a premeditated impulse buy.

What does this mean for my iPad Pro. Well, most likely I won’t upgrade in 2021. When I do upgrade I may down size to one of the 10(ish) inch models, probably another Pro but the iPad Air is also possible. Too early to tell. Who knows what crazy iPad offerings Apple will have in 2022. o_O

Why keep a larger iPad at all? Drawing and cellular. It will still be my go to portable device and drawing tablet.

Why succumb to the MacBook Air? Dreams. Dreams of sometime actually creating those simple apps I can’t find in the store. Also, I intend to install some virtual machine software so I can have a second Windows laptop, and maybe play a bit more with some Linux software.

But really, just because I’m excited to play with a new computer, and I can afford to do so, if only barely.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Right after the Apple Event I ordered the new, basic model MacBook Air. I’ve been thinking I want a Mac back in my tool bag for a while, but have been waiting to see what the new Apple Silicon generation would offer.

So, it’s not like it’s completely an impulse buy. More like a premeditated impulse buy.

What does this mean for my iPad Pro. Well, most likely I won’t upgrade in 2021. When I do upgrade I may down size to one of the 10(ish) inch models, probably another Pro but the iPad Air is also possible. Too early to tell. Who knows what crazy iPad offerings Apple will have in 2022. o_O

Why keep a larger iPad at all? Drawing and cellular. It will still be my go to portable device and drawing tablet.

Why succumb to the MacBook Air? Dreams. Dreams of sometime actually creating those simple apps I can’t find in the store. Also, I intend to install some virtual machine software so I can have a second Windows laptop, and maybe play a bit more with some Linux software.

But really, just because I’m excited to play with a new computer, and I can afford to do so, if only barely.

Glad to hear you have ordered the new MacBook Air. Up until the latest Apple event which I have just watched I was on the fence between the Air and the Pro, but now feel very inclined toward the base MacBook Air too (so cool it doesn’t need a fan) and kinder to my wallet!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi TP - now on the Apple website, and their just released MBAir, MBPro, & Mac Mini have the new Apple silicon, which has been called the M1 chip - is that the model you purchased or one w/ an Intel chip? My 2 Mac laptops are showing their age - the MBPro is early 2013 and probably will not take Big Sur and the MBAir is from 2015 but w/o a retina screen; both are still working fine so no hurry, but early next year, I'll reassess 'my desires' - :rolleyes: Would like just one laptop, likely the Air w/ the new Apple silicon running Big Sur - of course, their Rosetta 2 software will permit the old Intel apps to run on the newer chip - a LOT of changes to think about - :) Dave

Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 5.02.09 PM.png

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - now on the Apple website, and their just released MBAir, MBPro, & Mac Mini have the new Apple silicon, which has been called the M1 chip - is that the model you purchased or one w/ an Intel chip? . . . - :) Dave

View attachment 90489

Yes, the one with the new M1 chip. I’ve been itching for a new Mac for a while, decided to wait an see when Apple announced they were going to start transitioning to their own silicon this year.

It’s supposed to arrive 17 - 18 November.

One of the interesting things about the new Macs is that they will run iOS and iPadOS apps. The interface will probably feel a bit clumsy (no touch screen) but it should fill the gap when there is no compatible native app on both platforms.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it showed up today. Still in the middle of downloading Xcode (my main excuse for the purchase). It's a big download.

In the mean time I'm just downloading and configuring the software needed to get it on par with the iPad; so I don't have to switch for every little task. I've also set up some SDR (Software Defined Radio), another reason for the iMac. The RTL-SDR dongle works fine with CubicSDR.

The screen size is about the same size, but the different aspect ratio means HD movies will be slightly larger (less wasted space).

!! Xcode is done downloading. Off to play some more.

P.S. I've already tapped the screen several times. :eek:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, it showed up today. Still in the middle of downloading Xcode (my main excuse for the purchase). It's a big download.

In the mean time I'm just downloading and configuring the software needed to get it on par with the iPad; so I don't have to switch for every little task. I've also set up some SDR (Software Defined Radio), another reason for the iMac. The RTL-SDR dongle works fine with CubicSDR.

The screen size is about the same size, but the different aspect ratio means HD movies will be slightly larger (less wasted space).

!! Xcode is done downloading. Off to play some more.

P.S. I've already tapped the screen several times. :eek:

TP - I know that Xcode can be used to develop and configure apps (as quoted below), especially as universal programs, but for us 'poor mortals' just upgrading to a new laptop w/ Apple Silicon, I'm assuming that this is not a necessity - many of the developers have already re-written their apps as 'universal', i.e. to run on either Intel or ARM based computers, correct? I'll likely buy one of these laptops next spring but would not look forward to 'converting' a lot of software using Xcode - please provide some clarification. :confused: :D Dave

Xcode
Developer(s) Apple Inc.
Stable release 12.2 (12B45b)[1] (November 12, 2020; 1 day ago)

Xcode is an integrated development environment (IDE) for macOS containing a suite of software development tools developed by Apple for developing software for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, and tvOS. It was first released in 2003; the latest stable release is version 12.1, released on October 20, 2020, and is available via the Mac App Storefree of charge for macOS Catalina users.[4] Registered developers can download preview releases and prior versions of the suite through the Apple Developer website.[5] Xcode includes Command Line Tools (CLT), which enable UNIX-style development via the Terminal app in macOS.[6] They can also be downloaded and installed without the main IDE. (Source)

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new M1 (Apple Silicon) Macs will run iOS and iPadOS apps natively, straight from the App Store. No need for conversion. Keep in mind these apps are built for the touch interface, but Macs do not have touch screens. This means they may not be as convenient to use as they are on iPads.

I have not tried any iOS or iPadOS apps on the MacBook Air yet. Most of the apps I want on the Air have native Mac versions that sync with the iOS versions (usually through iCloud). So far those include Fantasical, Reeder, Notability, and Tweetbot. Also, the Microsoft Office suite. My Office 365 subscription includes a license for one laptop/desktop install.

Of course all of Apple's apps (at least all I use) have native Mac versions.

Xcode is strictly for app development. Even if you wanted to convert an iOS app to Mac, you would not have the necessary files to do it unless the developer (for some reason) gave you the source files. Even then, you'd need to do some extra work.

I want Xcode because I'm in one of my "I want to make an app" moods." It will likely pass without me doing more than dipping my toes and deciding the water is too cold, as it has in the past; but hope is eternal.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You would think so, but for some reason most media iOS apps are not showing when I search for them. At least not Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Disney +. No idea if this is Apple, the media companies or just some kind of technical hurdle.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One advantage of being able to run iPad apps on the Mac is that the iPad version of games that also have a Mac version is usually significantly cheaper.

Most reactions

Latest posts