What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Itunes only good for WIN & or later??

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated my 5S with ISO 9, no problems.
Plugged it into the PC and itunes recognized it OK..

Started to update my Ipad and received message, you need a later version of Itunes,, BUT the ISO 9 seems to be installed..
When I plug the ipad into my pc to charge, I receive the following

"The ipad xxx cannot be used because it requires a newer version of itunes, goto xxx for the latest....."

Went to Itunes site to get latest, downloaded the setup and it says WIN 7 or later..

I still use WIN XP.

Have I been abandon???

Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has stopped official support for iTunes on Windows XP. Some of the functions may still work but you may have problems accessing your account.
You won't be able to download the latest version of iTunes unless you upgrade your operating system or get a newer computer.

Last edited:
OP
JJ_BPK

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has stopped official support for iTunes on Windows XP. Some of the functions may still work but you may have problems accessing your account.
You won't be able to download the latest version of iTunes unless you upgrade your operating system or get a newer computer.

That sucks,,
Are you implying there are 20 bizzillion users out there with ZERO support for their phones and pads???
because they don't play MS's money game??

How do I get an older version of itunes??

There has to be a retro-solution
and/or a major bug in itunes.

My 5S has zero problems with the current itunes, but my ipad does??

?? :[

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the iPad Air 2? That would explain why it won't work with the older version of iTunes on your computer. I'm afraid that there's no retro-solution to your problem. If you want to sync your iPad with iTunes you're going to need a newer version of iTunes. An older version of iTunes won't work.There's no major bug in iTunes, dropping support for Windows XP in the latest version of iTunes was intentional on the part of Apple. Windows XP is an unsupported operating system that will experience more and more problems like this as time goes on.

Windows XP is at the point where it's dangerous to use it for anything that connects to the Internet, including iTunes. That's the major reason Apple dropped support for Windows XP. There is no more anti-virus support for it or security updates from Microsoft.

OP
JJ_BPK

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well,, I have quandary(s),
My ipad is an Air 2,
and last week I ordered the 6S.

My ipad is at os9
my 5s is at os9
my itunes is at ???

1)my ipad will not attach to itunes
2)itunes will not recognize my ipad
3)my ipad can not be backed up nor updated nor restored to 8.4.
4)I can not down level itunes

5)I presumes the 6s will have similar problems??

Win XP is not the problem.
APPLE is....
Demanding the world flip to 64 bit is wrong.

Software regression and back/down level support is paramount to the world..

Anyone have a jailbreak for the 32 bit itunes??

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is nostalgia in most part keeping you with Windows XP, rather than any practical reason.

A lot of people like XP, because back in the day it was the most used OS on the planet. I remember when XP was released I got my first PC, which was a second-hand ex lease Dell, the reseller loaded a fresh install of XP as part of the deal. I have a fondness and familiarity with it.

Essentially the world has passed it by, much like music on CDs and video stores. There are still some around, but they have been outdated by newer, better technology.

If your computer is powerful enough, you could probably pick up a copy of Windows 7 to upgrade to, and it's not a massive jump or learning curve to use. If not, a new computer may be in order.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My ipad is an Air 2,

My ipad is at os9
my 5s is at os9
my itunes is at ???

APPLE is....

I'm afraid that there's nothing that you can do to force your iPad and the new iPhone 6s with the outdated windows on your computer that's running Windows XP. The problem is most certainly not the fault of Apple , but the outdated unsupported operating system on your computer. Since Windows XP has been abandoned by Microsoft, it will never be updated to be compatible with the latest version of iTunes.

There is no such thing as a jailbreak for iTunes that forces devices to sync with an incompatible version of iTunes.

Unfortunately, you only have two choices here, update windows on your computer to at least Windows 7 or get a new computer with a newer version of Windows installed. There are no other solutions to your problem.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you only have two choices here, update windows on your computer to at least Windows 7 or get a new computer with a newer version of Windows installed. There are no other solutions to your problem.

Or, as I did back in early 2013 into my retirement, I dumped my Dell laptop w/ Vista & my Dell desktop w/ Windows XP - now happily using a MBPro and wife on an iMac.

XP support was also dropped by Microsoft (look HERE) at a 2-year old article - Windows OSs are not only unsafe on the internet requiring much added malware effort(s), but those older versions no longer supported are even more dangerous to run - bottom line and agreeing w/ the others, get off Windows XP ASAP - Dave :)

Last edited:

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My ipad is an Air 2,

My ipad is at os9
my 5s is at os9
my itunes is at ???

APPLE is....

Hmmm.. let's see here, uses the latest version of the operating system for his iPhone and iPad, yet wants to use a computer OS that is over 14 years old and it's publisher has dropped support for it??? That doesn't make sense.

Your best bet is just to bite the bullet and upgrade either the OS or your PC. The cheapest would be to get an OEM copy of Windows 7 from someplace like Tiger Direct or other online retailer. But if you're so set in staying in the past, maybe you should give up your iPhone and iPad and go with a flip phone and pen & paper... this isn't a conspiracy, it's called progress.

Roy

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
JJ_BPK

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I uninstalled itunes and attempted to install v.12.0.1(32bit) and it would complete but not run?? "files corrupted"

iTunes 12.0.1 for Windows (32-bit)

Suggestions??
Do I need to craw thru the register and delete itunes vestiges
& left-behinds??

I will work toward a later version of win, but for now I need operability. When the new 6S arrives next week,, It will not be able to initialize without some form of itunes...

??

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would certainly help if you went through your computer and deleted all traces of the previous version of iTunes.

iTunes 12.0.1, though, will not work with your new iPhone 6s. You can get your new iPhone activated without using iTunes on a computer, that's been possible since iOS 5 was released in 2011. Apple Help - iPhone and Support - Apple (CA)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do not need your computer or iTunes to initialize a new iPhone.

If you are not currently using an iCloud account, get a free iCloud account. Backup your current iPhone to iCloud. When you get the new iPhone you will be able to restore it from that iCloud account.

If you don't have fast and reliable wi-fi at home, plan to visit a local library or other place that does. Expect to spend a few hours there. Apple Stores are pretty tolerant of people using their wi-fi for things like this.

As long as you have a good wi-fi internet connection, there is very little left in iOS that 'must have' iTunes on a computer to be done. And most of that has workarounds.

As for XP support. Whether you agree with Microsoft's decision to stop supporting it or not, it's not reasonable to expect Apple to keep supporting an OS that the owner of that OS is not longer supporting. That may suck, and I'm sure it does suck for many people who've been sticking with XP for various reasons, but it's also reality. :(

OP
JJ_BPK

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "suck" is itunes install not telling me it can't be backed out. Additional, it ask to install the 64bit code on a 32bit system. When it realized I had a 32 bit system it should have stopped and terminated.

So,, I finally have v.12.0.1.26 up, it will talk to the 5S, but not the ipad..

I only use itunes to backup the phone & ipad, and charge off the USB cable. I do not stream and do not buy music, games, video. I have a few kindle books, only because friends give them to me free..

I do need to recover my current 5S backup data into the 6S. Need to learn the wifi cloud process. I have wifi in my office and get 36/5 mips, so I should be fast enough?

As to WIN XP..

I, as do others, have a reason for staying with XP. I build my own machines and only update parts as required. I currently run a 7yr old system with a 4yo tuned I5 2500K, 4ghz, nothing special. But I do have 20yrs of apps and data that is not migratable. Laugh all you want, but I still occasionally run win 3.1 CAD apps that do just fine in XP. I need to set one of my drives to dual-boot so I can support myself as I am accustomed to.. :]

PS: It get better. I still have MS-DOS and IBM-DOS and OS2.. I started in the late 60t's using machine code,, then assembler...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your office wi-fi should be plenty fast enough. Make sure you can connect to it first. Some enterprise wi-fi setups aren't BYOD friendly.

I can certainly empathize with the XP, MS-DOS, and other older tech. I started out down a different path, and later, but I still miss my C=64 and Amiga. I'd still use them if they could do the things I need to do these days. The Commodore 64 was the last computer I understood all the way through, hardware, software, and all. The Amiga was just plain exciting and different.

But technology rolls on, and if we want to work with new hardware and software we have to do so as well.

As for iTunes installs. Well, they've always been a bear on Windows. Easy enough if everything goes right, and a pain to fix if something goes wrong. Apple's never been very good at making Windows software. Until recently I'd have said the same thing about Microsoft writing software for Apple, but they've been doing a pretty good job lately; at least with their iOS apps.

Of course iOS is a lot easier to write for than OS X.

Disclaimer: My knowledge of how well Apple software and iTunes work on Windows is purely second hand; mostly from listening to the problems that crop up here on the forum.

Most reactions

Latest posts