What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad’s Retina Display Was A Challenge for Manufacturers

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
new_iPad_retina.JPG

A report on AppleInsider today sheds a little more light on the manufacture of the new iPad’s Retina display. According to a post on the NPD Group’s DisplaySearch blog, the display was particularly difficult for its suppliers, namely Samsung, Sharp and LG, to manufacture. This is because they were all using a production process called “a-Si TFTâ€, which, the report says, was tested to its very limits by the requirements of the iPad’s Retina display. Apparently, the iPad’s 264-pixels-per-inch really stretched the upper limits of the a-Si TFT technology’s possible pixel density. The report goes on to say that Sharp had initially wanted Apple to use its IZGO display technology, but apparently the screens didn’t make it past Apple’s stringent testing process. The fact that the display has double the pixel density of the iPad 2 also means that the display manufacturers have had to double the number of backlighting LEDs, with NPD Group saying that the new displays have at least 72 LEDs, which place quite a drain on the iPad's power supply. In another blog post also referred to by AppleInsider, NPD Group said that the new iPad’s Retina display has Super High Aperture pixel designs, which enable Apple to have more pixels than previously in the same-sized screen without affecting the quality of the image.

Source: iPad Retina Display features Super High Aperture pixels, double the LEDs

Harold1339

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I want to know is: Will the screen be easier to see in direct sunlight. This is a problem on the previous IPads.

Hull_Lad01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Harold1339 said:
What I want to know is: Will the screen be easier to see in direct sunlight. This is a problem on the previous IPads.

I suspect anything n direct sunlight is hard to see, not just an IPad.

I'd suggest a shady spot or window blind ;-)

Hull_Lad01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't wait to get my hands on the new IPad for the new screen alone.

Having just upgraded from an IPhone 4 to 4S, the screen is fantastic and can only pray that n up scaling, it will be the same on the new iPad.

Peter_Izn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maura said:
A report on AppleInsider today sheds a little more light on the manufacture of the new iPad’s Retina display. According to a post on the NPD Group’s DisplaySearch blog, the display was particularly difficult for its suppliers, namely Samsung, Sharp and LG, to manufacture. This is because they were all using a production process called “a-Si TFT”, which, the report says, was tested to its very limits by the requirements of the iPad’s Retina display. Apparently, the iPad’s 264-pixels-per-inch really stretched the upper limits of the a-Si TFT technology’s possible pixel density. The report goes on to say that Sharp had initially wanted Apple to use its IZGO display technology, but apparently the screens didn’t make it past Apple’s stringent testing process. The fact that the display has double the pixel density of the iPad 2 also means that the display manufacturers have had to double the number of backlighting LEDs, with NPD Group saying that the new displays have at least 72 LEDs, which place quite a drain on the iPad's power supply. In another blog post also referred to by AppleInsider, NPD Group said that the new iPad’s Retina display has Super High Aperture pixel designs, which enable Apple to have more pixels than previously in the same-sized screen without affecting the quality of the image.

Source: iPad Retina Display features Super High Aperture pixels, double the LEDs

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts