What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad while waiting for 2012 iMac/MBP?

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a fried that has no computer right now except his iPhone 4s. He asked me if he should buy a new iPad while he waits for the new ivy bridge iMacs/MBP which ever comes first. Would an iPad be a good alternative?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on what he needs to do with his computer. If it is web surfing, reading emails, doing social things, editing files, building keynote talks or working with spreadsheets in pages, or reading/editing PDFs, youtube, magic piano, drawing, playing games, watching movies, editing home movies, listening to music, creating tunes in Garageband, use the cloud...then he can do those things on an iPad. If he needs to do cad, or run matlab, or advanced programming stuff, or use some programs that don't run on iOS or have equvilants, then he will need a real laptop. There is a good bit of overlap, but in some cases he may have to learn how to get things done.

OP
Daylife

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
It depends on what he needs to do with his computer. If it is web surfing, reading emails, doing social things, editing files, building keynote talks or working with spreadsheets in pages, or reading/editing PDFs, youtube, magic piano, drawing, playing games, watching movies, editing home movies, listening to music, creating tunes in Garageband, use the cloud...then he can do those things on an iPad. If he needs to do cad, or run matlab, or advanced programming stuff, or use some programs that don't run on iOS or have equvilants, then he will need a real laptop. There is a good bit of overlap, but in some cases he may have to learn how to get things done.

Good point. I'll make sure to show him what you wrote lol. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts