What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad user wants TOUGH cover/case

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to purchase the new iPad 4 on Friday and I want the toughest cover and/or case I can get for it, as I am a bit of a klutz and rather rough and tumble.

I've looked on-line today and I "googled" iPad tough case review, or something similar, yet still many choices come up.

I've got an Otter Box iPhone 4 phone Defender case and I like it, so I am thinking about using another Otter Box case for my new iPad 4.
Are there others out there that are better? Don't know if I really want a "water-proof" case, but looking for the BEST protection I can get
without it looking too weird, the cover that is.

Thanks!

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lifeproof is my favorite a bit pricey but I love it. Got the should strap with it too

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wingzfan61 said:
Griffin survivor. Awesome case with total protection

I've had one of those on my iPad since shortly after I bought it in March. Unless something directly impacts the screen, it offers very good protection. I've dropped it a few times onto concrete with no harm done. Without the case, I'd have been looking for a replacement iPad.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking about a super protect case, but now since the 4 came out I' thinking if it breaks I'll have an excuse to get a new one.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had one of those on my iPad since shortly after I bought it in March. Unless something directly impacts the screen, it offers very good protection. I've dropped it a few times onto concrete with no harm done. Without the case, I'd have been looking for a replacement iPad.

I think I'm going with the Griffin survivor. I'm a total klutz !!

sdleasia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife bought a leather Saddleback for hers. A bit pricy, but tough. iPad Accessories: Leather iPad Cases & Covers
They have a video where the guy throws the case with an ipad in at against a bookshelf. Also has a hole for the camera so you don't have to take it out of the case to take a picture.

Mine is a leather Solo with a zipper that I got from Sam's Club. Doesn't have a hole for the camera though. I also slip my ipad and case into a $25 Targus bag I got from Walmart. The Targus has a strap and I can carry all the accessories, charger stuff, old iphone 4, bluetooth, and stuff in it. I had been dropping my iphone 4 about 3 times a day on concrete, so I needed something that would protect my goodies when it came to the ipad.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the Griffin survivor and am so glad I did. Grand-nephew dropped my new iPad 4 on concrete yesterday. No damage at all, not even a scratch. Oh yeah!

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've seen them in BB and they look pretty indestructible. How's the fit and feel? My phones all get screen protectors, but my 3rd generation iPad has a back and an Apple Smart cover only. I'm not sure about the loss of response with a screen protector.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
I've seen them in BB and they look pretty indestructible. How's the fit and feel? My phones all get screen protectors, but my 3rd generation iPad has a back and an Apple Smart cover only. I'm not sure about the loss of response with a screen protector.

I have the Griffin Survivor case on my iPad 3. The built in screen protector doesn't cause any noticeable lack of response that I noticed. I've dropped the iPad a few times, with absolutely no damage to the iPad, or the case, for that matter.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I have the Griffin Survivor case on my iPad 3. The built in screen protector doesn't cause any noticeable lack of response that I noticed. I've dropped the iPad a few times, with absolutely no damage to the iPad, or the case, for that matter.

I was thinking about an iVisor like I use on my phone when away from work, but may have to re-think the Griffin, thanks for the info.

OP
K

knowoneuno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:

I am a big Klutz so I wanted the best protection I could find, I am a Very Happy customer, I think you would be too.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dented the back the second day. That's why I put the back cover on it. I'm afraid to take it outside, I may get a griffin for Christmas

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
zstairlessone said:
I dented the back the second day. That's why I put the back cover on it. I'm afraid to take it outside, I may get a griffin for Christmas

I hope your iPad makes it to Christmas!

Most reactions